Is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by silentphenom, Jun 1, 2012.

1. silentphenom macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm planning on getting an iMac sometime in the next few months. I currently have a low end PC whose specs are:

AMD Athlon II X4 2.6 Ghz
    2 GB DDR2 RAM
    Radeon HD 4770 graphics card

Really nothing to brag about, but it has given me a few years of great work, and the ability to play games like Mass Effect 3, Modern Warfare 3, FIFA 12 and quite a few other games on medium to high settings.

I currently own a 2010 Macbook Air, and I love this little guy so much that I made the decision to get the iMac. I am not buying the iMac for gaming, but for work.

My questions to you guys are:

A) How big of an upgrade would this be compared to my current system?
    B) Using the current graphics card on the low end 2011 iMac (I know a newer version of the iMac is due out soon, I'm just using this one as a reference point), which is the AMD Radeon HD 6750M. How does the HD 4770 stack up against the HD 6750M? I am asking because the 4770 does what I need it to do, and I wouldn't want to be downgrading in the graphics card department.

Thank you guys for your time!!

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. leman macrumors 604

The update will be huge. The CPU increase is so great that its not funny anymore, and the GPU will be around 50% faster if I am not mistaken. The desktop equivalent of the 6750M is the 6570