Is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kthankzbye, Jul 6, 2009.

  1. kthankzbye macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #1
    I just got a brand spanking new uMPB in april, the $1999 one of course at that time. Would you guys upgrade it the newer $1999 model or wait for something else? I'm not rich or something. I just like the new 7 hour battery. Does the .26 bump in mhz make a big difference? such as photoshopping (max I do anyways)
     
  2. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2009
    Location:
    Vancouver/Tsawassen, Canada
    #2
    Unless you really really really want a built in SD reader (hint: the Expresscard slot can take SD cards), and a nonremovable battery (hint: more batteries = more battery life), I don't see why you should. The small processor upgrade isn't worth writing home for.
     
  3. steve31 macrumors 6502a

    steve31

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2007
    Location:
    Edmonton Canada
    #3
    I would not say it is worth it....BUT the new display is amazing!!!;) Much Much better than my Uni 2.4 MB....I sold it and bought a 13" MBP.
     
  4. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 7, 2007
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #4
    definitely not worth it. I got a replacement from apple from my 2.4 ghz unibody mbp. I now have the 2.66 new mbp. The screen is nicer from what i hear but i personally cant notice it. the sd card slot is nice but i already had a sd express card. I do see the difference in speed. Its nice to have a faster unit. All in all the upgrades are nice but it's not worth losing a few hundred dollars. Just my opinion
     
  5. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #5
    Keep what you have. The "upgrades" aren't something I'd consider to be worth the hassle of selling your old one at a loss to buy the new.
     
  6. z-hayden macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #6
    i'd say keep it...you can't keep upgrading and upgrading...if you do get the new one then come the next refresh its gonna be just as tempting to upgrade again
     
  7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #7
    Considering refurbs of the uni 2.4 mbp are going for $1350, you'd be lucky to get a thousand for it unless you luck out and get an unsophisticated buyer.

    Seriously, use what you've got until it no longer does what you need. I'd at least wait until snow leopard and the quads come out next year, and even that may not be a wise investment if you don't have a need for that much power.

    Up the ram to 4 gigs if you haven't already and stick in a 7200 rpm drive if you'd like it to have a bit more oomph.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    I'd hold off, there's little reason to dump your current laptop and get a newer one. There's just not enough change to warrant the expense and hassle. You're really only getting a non-removable battery and an SD card reader in the deal.

    If you're anxious for something better hold off until clarsfield/arrandale hit the market which should be early next year.
     

Share This Page