Is it worth waiting for a 13 inch Macbook Pro for June?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtsang777, Apr 30, 2016.

?

Should I buy a Macbook Pro now or wait?

  1. Yes, buy now!

    10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Wait.

    44 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. jtsang777 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2015
    #1
    I have a mid-2012 Macbook air and I was looking into stepping up to the Pro. Do you think I should get a new one now or wait? There are some new ones for like $1099 in that range. What do you think? I'm concerned if Apple goes with the butterfly keyboard from the Macbook and brings it to the Pro which I don't really like because of its lack of travel.
     
  2. geraldem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2015
    #2
    struggling with the same issue. But I think it is wise to wait, after all it is only a couple months to wait for new design and much faster procs..etc. Unless you really want the 300.00 off..I would wait.
     
  3. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2016
    #3
    I don't think you can go wrong either way. June may or may not bring a redesign, but performance likely won't be leaps and bounds better.

    The perk to buying now is saving $300-400. That's a pretty big chunk of money.

    I'd say decide what's more important to you, being on the bleeding edge, or saving $3-400.
     
  4. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

    Spudlicious

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2015
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, England
    #4
    Philip Stanhope said of being on the bleeding edge "The pleasure is brief and the expense damnable" Or was he talking about sex?
     
  5. zhenya macrumors 603

    zhenya

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    #5
    If you need a new computer now, buy one. If you merely want one, I would wait.

    This is likely to be the first major re-design of the MBP in years, and it will likely incorporate a bunch of new design elements, including Thunderbolt 3, that will pay dividends in speed and compatibility over the years to come. It's probably worth waiting to see what they release. If it doesn't appeal to you, the price of the existing models is not going to go up between now and then.
     
  6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #6
    Here's what I would suggest if you don't need a new MacBook "right now" and can wait a little longer:

    Keep an eye on prices for the current lineup of MacBook Pros.
    Know exactly which one and which configuration you would select from the current lineup.

    Then, wait until the new MacBooks are introduced, and try to get a "hands-on" with one as soon as they arrive at the Apple Stores.

    Be ready to make a "quick decision" at that time.

    You will have three "ways to go":
    1. Buy one of the new ones.
    2. Buy the just-discontinued model of your choice at closeout prices
    3. Buy an Apple-refurbished unit from the just-discontinued lineup.
     
  7. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    #7
    Now is the absolute worst time to buy a new macbook pro. Because it's really bad to buy right before the annual refresh, but even worse when the annual refresh will be an all-new design. You can see what the new design looks like, and if it's that terrible you can still buy the current design at a low price. You'll pay more money for less computer if you buy right now.
    I however could see some people hating a new keyboard with less travel, and hating the lack of a nice enough graphics card, and the likely even worse selection of ports that are coming. But the new macbook pro will be light and thin, that's for sure.
     
  8. CACarter1971 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2016
    #8
    I got a great deal on mine ($300 off), so I'm glad I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. I love it, and whatever upgrades come in June won't be worth $300, at least to me. And I'm a big fan of the current design. I had rMB for about a week before I returned it and got the Pro. I like this keyboard much better and I have a feeling the new ones will get the butterfly keyboard.
     
  9. throAU macrumors 601

    throAU

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #9
    If your 2012 machine still works it would make sense to wait. And not just until June, until there is a machine that has something you need or your 2012 machine dies or is no longer capable of what you need to do with it.
     
  10. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2016
    #10
    This is an excellent answer. A lot of times here on MR and similar sites we all focus on the latest and greatest, upgrade cycles, and generally buying more computer than we really need.

    It's good to keep it in perspective, and only drop the money if that upgrade will truly be an improvement in your day to day life.
     
  11. jerryk macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2011
    Location:
    SF Bay Area
    #11
    I would wait. And if the new unit is not what you want you can buy a the current unit at a discount on closeout or buy a refurbed from Early 2015 since that is the current unit, and save even more.

    That is my plan.
     
  12. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

    jeremiah256

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #12
    It's hard to exaggerate the potential Thunderbolt 3 (TB3) brings to the table. 40Gps throughput means a 4K/60Hz display, ability to daisy chain devices, and power various peripherals, all at the same time, via one small port. I agree with everyone saying, wait. My MBPs have served me 5 years each. The upcoming MBPs might last me 7-10 years, that's how important TB3 is.
     
  13. Vince89 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2016
    #13
    Yep, it's really a great time to invest in a machine that will last a while. Just wait 1 more month unless you really really can't.
     
  14. joelank macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2012
    Location:
    CEETEE
    #14
    on the same boat, thought the Macbook2016 was the answer only to find out otherwise.
     
  15. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

    jeremiah256

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Southern California
    #15
    Yep, if I don't buy a MBP this year, it'll be because I want my cake and eat it too, with a 2017 MB with TB3.
     

Share This Page