Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
This weekend I painted my dressers in my room. I did some sanding prior so I threw old bed sheets over everthing (including my monitor) to keep the dust away. Well while I was sanding I decided to turn on iTunes and let it run. When I was done I lifted the sheets and discovered that my 17" ADC CRT monitor had a purple tint to it. :eek: It appears that the heat kept in from the bed sheet was enough to partialy fry my green gun in the monitor. :mad:

So now what do I do? Should I bother getting it fixed? I had a much older monitor loose the red gun before and it was never the same. The thing is I keep seeing new monitor rumors here and I wondering if I can hold off till new ones are annouced. I can live with damaged monitor for a bit but last night I was seeing green hues around my apartment after using it for an hour. :eek:

The flat pannel displays are really expensive so I'd like to get opinions before I go dropping around $1,800 (CAD) for a new monitor.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Raid said:
The flat pannel displays are really expensive so I'd like to get opinions before I go dropping around $1,800 (CAD) for a new monitor.

Yikes! $1800 Canadian for an LCD? I did a search and found 15" LCDs for $500, 17" for $700, even a 20" for just over $1000. All Canadian.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
What do you use your monitor for?

If you do anything involving print design, you need to stay with a CRT. While LCDs are improving, the color is still not as accurate as a CRT (and I don't think it will be for some time). However, if you are not a graphic designer, the Apple displays are nice (but unless you really need one now I would wait a month or so till the updates come out).

There is not reason to be stuck on an Apple display either. Displays made by other manufacturers are often superior (and usually a better value) - though not as pretty. :)

By the way, if your display was an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT, I have seen a lot for sale used lately for fairly cheap (even here in the MacRumors Shop). In any case, I don't think that fixing your monitor would make as much sense as replacing it - your display is probably "totaled."

Hope this helps!

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Krizoitz said:
Yikes! $1800 Canadian for an LCD? I did a search and found 15" LCDs for $500, 17" for $700, even a 20" for just over $1000. All Canadian.

Well if I'm going to get a new monitor, then I'm going to upgrade to a 20", but where is this $1000 one?

alexf said:
What do you use your monitor for?
There is not reason to be stuck on an Apple display either. Displays made by other manufacturers are often superior (and usually a better value) - though not as pretty.

Well the computer is really just for home use, and I guess if I have to use it for extended periods I can use my laptop. I'm not stuck on Apple displays per se, but I find their USB ports quite handy.

Do you think new monitors will be out in a couple of months?

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Raid said:
Well if I'm going to get a new monitor, then I'm going to upgrade to a 20", but where is this $1000 one?

Well the computer is really just for home use, and I guess if I have to use it for extended periods I can use my laptop. I'm not stuck on Apple displays per se, but I find their USB ports quite handy.

Do you think new monitors will be out in a couple of months?

Yes, the common consensus is that new monitors will be likely be released along with upgraded PowerMacs in late June, although the release date for either of these upgrades could be sooner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.