Is it worth waiting for the new MacBook pro retina ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taimor, Jun 18, 2014.

  1. taimor macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2014

    I'm PC use that want to move to Mac and want to buy the MacBook pro retina, but I read here that around October/November a New MacBook Pro retina will be released with new touch-pad, does is worth to wait for the new one or just buy the current one now ?

    thanks :)
  2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Oct 14, 2010
    Depends on how much you need/want it. Broadwell, the next Intel evolution everyone is talking about, likely won't be in a MacBook by October/November (but who knows). I doubt there will be a redesign with a new touchpad. The Retina Air, rumored to be on the horizon, will probably distinguish itself from the existing Airs, appearance wise that is, and may have a different Touchpad.
  3. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    The current one is excellent if you need a new computer.

    I don't know what this new trackpad you're referring to is, and if anything, they're all rumors.
  4. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

    Jun 21, 2013
    I recently bought one, they are excellent machines and although I might have waited I thought a 2014 refresh would only be a minor bump and I couldn't wait until 2015. My other consideration was MBP vs MacBook Air, had I decided on the Air I would have waited to see if we get a retina screen on that. The latest MacBook pro is lighter and thinner and the difference to the Air is much less than it was.

    Not sure what you mean by trackpad, the current MBP already has one with multi-touch.

    So if you need a machine now get the current model, if you can wait until 2015 for a potential Broadwell based machine then wait.
  5. taimor thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 18, 2014
    Thanks for the help, I decided that is not worth waiting for October/November and 2015...

    Ordering my first Mac :)
  6. ACiB708 macrumors regular

    Apr 6, 2008
    This year's refresh should probably happen around the October/November timeframe. The MBP line will most likely be updated with some spec bumps (probably faster SSDs, better nVidia GPU, etc), but the really good thing is that Intel's nextgen processors, codename Broadwell, will probably make it to the update (Apple, in the past, has been known to receive Intel's processors before the public release date).
    So overall you'd get a faster GPU, probably Thunderbolt 3 and faster SSDs, and Broadwell CPUs which would give you more processing power, as well as better (maybe all-day) battery life; not a huge update, but definitely not a minor one either.

    It always boils down to how much you need the computer right now. I love having the latests and greatest when possible, and two months is not that long of a wait, but then again that's just me. Of course, if you cannot wait because you absolutely need the computer right now, then go and buy the current one. But if that were the case you wouldn't have asked in the first place, now would you?

    Let us know what you decide!
  7. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Broadwell is projected to be out during the Christmas time, if you can wait until then, you'll be rewarded for your patience. I think the current Haswell MBPs though are very good and very fast and probably can fit your needs for now and the future

    It all boils down to your willingness to wait.

    Another upside of NOT waiting is you get to enjoy the machine now, there is something to be said for instant gratification :D
  8. s2mikey macrumors 68020


    Sep 23, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Good for you! I bought mine about a month ago and couldn't be happier. Waiting to time laptop or any electronic purchase starts to get silly after a while. Forget trying to beat the system or whatever. Just but and enjoy NOW. That's the right answer.

    Have fun once you get it! :)

Share This Page