Is it worth waiting to order an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by alextebbutt, Mar 8, 2013.

  1. alextebbutt macrumors newbie

    Mar 8, 2013
    Just wondering if people think it's worth waiting a little while to see if any upgrades are likely to be made to the 27" iMac in the near future.

    I'm very keen to buy one but the buyers guide is now showing up as mid cycle and I'd be a little disappointed if I ordered one, waited the 3 - 4 weeks for delivery in the UK and then an update comes out!!

    Any thoughts people?


  2. simsaladimbamba

    Nov 28, 2010
    If an update would arrive, which is unlikely in the next six months, it would only be a slight speed bump. Intel releases new Haswell chips in Summer 2013, Apple will use those for the next iMac release, and that might take until August or even longer.
  3. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

    Apple fanboy

    Feb 21, 2012
    Behind the Lens, UK
    Are you mad? Mid cycle? Don't expect a new iMac before November at the earliest and probably 2014. If you need one buy one. If not don't.
  4. eternalife macrumors regular

    Jul 21, 2011
    I guess it depends on what the OP means by update. While it is not likely there will be physical changes (CPUs, GPUs, etc.) to the system we could see (more) option / price changes. We've already seen SSD price drops and new options. I'm holding out for an SSD only option for the 21.5" - although I won't be waiting much longer.
  5. J. Rab macrumors newbie

    Feb 13, 2013
    If you keep waiting for the next greatest thing -- you're always going to be waiting. It's more of a matter of necessity -- if you really need it -- you should get it now.
  6. TallGuyGT macrumors regular


    Aug 8, 2011
    This is inline with what I've heard. Haswell in summer, which means iMac update likely for fall.

    Haswell improvements are mostly focused on mobile, so don't expect much of an increase with iMac if you do wait.

    I'm going to order one once Apple EPP pricing is available for iMac.
  7. dangerly macrumors regular


    Oct 27, 2009
    European Dis-Union
    Excuse my ignorance, what is EPP pricing?
    Thank you
  8. iBoffin macrumors newbie

    Feb 17, 2013
    Employee Purchase Plan.
  9. karpich1 macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2007
    I'm waiting for them to put the new 27" iMac back on the EPP list. I plan on (nearly) maxing it out so every little bit that I can save would be nice.

    Then again, I got myself a regular PC to pass the time... so I might wait until they make a minor revision and work out some of the kinks I've been hearing about.
  10. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
    Macbooks will get the update first for Haswell i think in mid June or July, for iMac maybe November maybe spring 2014.
    So buy one now
  11. elev8d macrumors 6502

    Dec 9, 2008
    I hope they don't get slammed with orders as soon as the EPP goes into effect and wait times jump. I've been watching the EPP store like a hawk. 4 months post release, still nothing...
  12. TallGuyGT macrumors regular


    Aug 8, 2011
    LOL same here, I check every morning when I get to work. :)
  13. CaptMike macrumors regular


    Mar 27, 2012
    You will wait forever.

    Update occur all the time and will continue to do so until you die

    As soon as a product is released for all intents and purposes it is already outdated.
  14. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

    Jun 30, 2010
    I have had my iMac since December, but if I didn't have one, I would not hesitate in buying one immediately.
    Performance is great, looks fantastic, if you go for a higher spec then you need not worry about it lasting a good 4 years.

    I think that the only thing that might make me want to upgrade my iMac in the next 3 years would be a retina display, which I don't see happening for a while.
  15. mushroomtip macrumors 6502


    Oct 27, 2012
    The vicious cycle of waiting for the next best thing . just built what you need or better yet , what you want and pull the trigger and don't look back or ahead !
  16. mellofello macrumors 65816

    Feb 1, 2011
    I think that you are safe buying a imac. The proverbial shoe has dropped now that the redesign is out. If anything I would forecast a slight processor bump if anything. It will be a few years until the retina touchscreen comes out.

Share This Page