Is it worth waiting?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CanadianDonkey, Apr 15, 2008.

1. CanadianDonkey macrumors member

Alright, so, I have a macbook, with a 160Gb harddrive, and I need to upgrade it.

Do you think it's worth waiting for 500GB drives to become avaliable, or should I just get a 320 avaliable now?

I did some research, and I read that samsung released a 500GB drive, and they're "now shipping" although I can't find any place to order one, or even preorder.

So how long do you think I will be waiting for this hard drive?

And before anyone says that all that extra space is useless, I'm heavily into video editing, likes a wide variety of music (by wide variety, I mean I can fill up a classic iPod) and I also like to download movies and TV shows, by the seasons.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You're doing all that to the HD of a MacBook? Sounds like you need an external HD to me. Get a terabyte or two if you're worried about space.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good advice.

4. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I bought my wife a macbook, it came with just an 80gb hard drive...I was editing movies and downloading songs onto it as well..I purchased the Time Capsule, and moved all that stuff onto it. If I need certain music/clips I will move them to the macbook, and then back. It works fine for me...Im pretty satisfied, with this option.

If you dont ever need to take all that music/movies with you, then I would suggest an external harddrive as well..if your going to take it with you I would go with the 320gb as those will be a lot less expensive then the 500gb..

5. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Like other's have said, just get an external, Firewire preferred, HD.

First off, tv shows and the like shouldn't be cluttering up your main HD. Second, it's a good way to organize your video for editing. If you can afford a 1TB or 2TB external FW go for that. Get one that uses 2 drives in one(i.e. you mirror your data), so you have a copy of your data in case anything goes wrong with one of the drives

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I'd say get both an external and internal. 320gb each instead of 1 500gb.

I'd do that to backup my crap. I would hate to lose all my data to a faulty hd.

7. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    this is my solution, In 1 Terrabyte size
    http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11062

8. CanadianDonkey thread starter macrumors member

Well, all excellent points, I think you've convinced me to just stick with the 320 drive, and get an external drive.

Beside, I could probably convince my sis to go half-ers on one, so we can share movies and tv shows.