Is it worth waiting?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gazfocus, Jun 12, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm moving into a new student house 1st July and some may remember I was waiting until I move to buy a mac pro for the 3rd year of my degree.

I still have a fairly ok spec PC (Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 4GB Ram, etc) and I am now wondering if it's worth waiting for the Nehalem Mac Pro.

I know I'll get the usual "If you need it buy it and if you can wait, wait" but I'm hoping for peoples advice :)

Thanks

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Buy a new machine in the winter. It will make a nice room heater.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

You have a pretty powerful PC, a strong MBP, and a Dell XPS M1530 on the way.

What do you need a Mac Pro for that those machines can't handle? And do you really need four computers?

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

What are you going to be doing with it? The current generation of Mac Pros is very, very fast. Unless you are going to be setting up a professional video suite, you may not see enough improvement in the new machines to justify waiting.

5. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

The current Mac pros are great machines and excellent values. Get one and load it up with lots of third party ram. You'll be good to go for the next 2-3 years.

6. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I see your point, however, the MBP is in the process of being sold, and will be replaced with a new Macbook when they get rid of the horrible plastic (as I want a smaller laptop for using on trains, etc). I've not decided what to do with the PC yet (either part it out or sell it as a complete machine).

Basically, I want to end up with a complete Mac setup. (hence looking to replace my PC with a Mac Pro). The only reason I've got an XPS is for some church stuff as the software will only work on Windows, and needs dual screen capabilities, etc, and it was just easier to keep it on a seperate machine completely.

That's a good question, that not even I can answer yet :)
    Basically, bits of everything (ocassional video editing), office work but mainly web developement (Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop).

I know some will say a Mac Pro is overkill, but my reasoning is I already have 2 x 23" ACD's (one bought this week), and I want the capacity to install more than 4GB of RAM when I can afford it, and more hard drives (not over keen on externals).

I'm not sure how long this machine is going to last me (I tend to get bored of computers) but I want something that's going to be a workhorse and I hope it will last me 2 years minimum.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If I were you I'd buy a Mac Pro now, put a ton of RAM in it and install Windows via Boot Camp, then get rid of both PCs and go nuts.

8. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular