Is it worth worrying about breaking the MacBook Air screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Firesign3394, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Firesign3394 macrumors regular

It is so much thinner than the Macbook Pro screen, and I worry that maybe I should have purchased the insurance Best Buy recommended.

2. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I had a 2010 11" and now I have a 2012 11" and I haven't had any problems with either of them getting damaged in any way. I do have a Speck case on mine though. I take mine out with me all the time and it's in my backpack while riding as well so it's not like I'm babying it. Why are you so worried? Surely you're not going to be reckless with it?

3. Firesign3394 thread starter macrumors regular

I just have never had a laptop with a screen as thin as this. My last laptop was a Toshiba with a thick screen. I guess I don't have much to worry about. I have had every iPad so far without issues.

4. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Haha it's defnitely not worth worrying about. Just don't put any severe pressure on the screen (for example pressing from the back with your fingers); you could end up with dead pixels. That goes for every screen/laptop.

5. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I honestly can't remember how I felt when I got my first Air but I'm sure it is similar to how you feel. Don't worry, with time you'll get used to it and know how to handle it.

6. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I think its worth worrying about. It is really thin. It is surprisingly strong. Much stronger than the big thick plastic screens used in typical Windows laptops.

I think the iPad seems much more resilient. Its thicker, not as large and doesn't have many openings.

That said, overall the Air is an amazingly strong machine. Especially the 11" is extremely strong. Imagine picking up a Windows laptop by a corner. Plastic couldn't handle it. The Air's aluminum is strong and its very light, making for a very tough combination.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

The MacBook Air is definitely more delicate than an iPad. Molly Wood did a torture test of the iPad on her new show and it passed with flying colors (freezing, heat, drops, water spills). The MacBook Air would have choked on the drop and water tests. That said, it holds up well if you take care of it.

If you are concerned about accidental damage, consider a personal articles policy from your homeowner or rental insurer. It may be cheaper than what stores offer, and it would provide theft as well as accidental damage coverage.

8. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

My 13" 2011 MBA was about one week old when I dropped a magnifying glass (weighing about 1/3 pound) directly on the screen from about 18 inches away. I almost threw up from shock, as I imagined an $800 repair bill for a brand new computer. However, there were no visible cracks. Then I used the same magnifying glass to examine it in detail. Not a scratch on it and no dead pixels. So, I guess the screen is fairly tough.

Needless to say, I learned my lesson and am now extremely careful whenever it's open. I also added a rider to my homeowner's policy that will help cover any future accidents.

9. calvol macrumors 6502a

There are a few posts on MacRumors about cracked screens from flying Magsafe connectors, and a few from being in backpacks full of books. Just use common sense and don't subject it to any undue pressure or flying objects.

10. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I am worried about getting my screen cracked when I have a lot of books in my backpack with my MacBook Air. I have a nice Swiss Gear backpack that is designed to hold a laptop, but it still worries me.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Just get one of those hard sleeves and put the MBA into it, before putting it into your bag.

12. WesCole macrumors 6502a

Good point. I just ordered the slim sleeve from Incipio. Hopefully, that will help a little. Or maybe I should just get digital textbooks and put them on my iPad. :)

13. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Digital books is the way forward! I think back to what I had to carry at school and wonder if that's why I have back pain...

I have boxes full of paperbacks which I keep meaning to read before I give them away, but I just keep reading on my iPhone instead, it's much more convenient, and works in the dark. Textbooks on the iPad though; they have bigger pages.

14. minnus macrumors 6502

To protect it, use a cloth to put between the screen and the keyboard. I use the Razer Kabuto.

I have the 2011 13" MBA, and unless they did some major reinforcement with the 2012 (which they likely did not), the screen flexes under light pressure. If the screen presses against the keyboard/trackpad, permanent screen damage can occur.

Just use a cloth in between to prevent that.