is it wrong to kinda like vista?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twoodcc, Jun 19, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so i have to have windows for class. i get vista business for free thru my school. so i thought i'd give it a try, and installed it on my mbp thru bootcamp.

now then i got parallels, and it can use a bootcamp partition. but it was slow and some things didn't work right, so i'm on my bootcamp again.

now, maybe i'm weird, but i kinda like vista. not for doing everything, but for using office, surfing the internet, etc, it's not bad. now for music and video, i'll stick to Mac OS X.

anyways, i thought i would share this thought

2. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well at least i'm not alone

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I can't stand Vista at all. Security problems, programs crash, IE7 sucks... horrible, horrible OS.

...oh wait I've never used it. Well, XP didn't impress me that much. It's like a red-headed step-child you have to beat. Seriously I'd like to try Vista so I can say I've tried it. I would be very surprised if I like any more than XP, which would be a huge surprise. I think the more you use Vista the less you like it, at least from others I've heard. The ones that use it least like it most.

4. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well that makes sense. i haven't used vista much, and when i do, it's mainly just ms office stuff for school.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

with the right version (home premium or ultimate) and a decent machine Vista is a good OS.

The vast majority of people who slag it off have never used it or only had a fleeting glance at it.

I teach official Microsoft Vista courses and most who come on the course (there for work reason) com in to the classroom hating it but by the end of the week they go away quite liking it.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I have Vista on my MacBook for various reasons.

It's a pretty solid OS and certainly more secure about the box than XP.

Aero is nice looking, although a little resource hungry it's nothing 2GB won't fix. Of course 2GB is what you probably want to run Leopard as well (see attachment).

The one thing I really like is the way the location bar works in Windows Explorer.

For those of you who haven't tried Vista, you can see the address bar shows the path to the current folder (Sample pictures). This is available on OS X, however unlike OS X you can click on each folder to view its contents in a drop down menu. This I would love to see in OS X.

Apple sorted out all the drivers for all my hardware via bootcamp and I have never printed from Vista. The main problems I have read about relate to device drivers and compatibility with legacy applications.

I do much, much prefer Leopard though overall.

Attached Files:

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Vista 64 is awesome. SP1 really made the difference.

But I only use it for gaming. Still, I've yet to see any reason to hate it. I think the people that dislike it so are just Microsoft haters in general. I mean calling it "resource hungry" is kinda pointless because Leopard is the same way. New OS's are meant for new computers. I don't know why that's so hard for some people to understand.

I think you'd be surprisingly pleased with it. I remember first trying it before SP1 came out and yes, it sucked at the time. But now? Wow. They have really done a 180. The more I use Vista the more I like it.

8. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh cool. so i guess you know Vista pretty well then.

it's not that i hate microsoft, but i really really really don't like steve balmer

9. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I have Vista Ultimate on a lappy, soon to give to a family member, that I had little problem with. Never used the lappy for gaming anyway. But, I tired of MS and all, a reason I switched to Apple.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

The main reason I didn't go with Vista when I Fusion'd XP on my MBP was that it hadn't had any major upgrades or fixes yet, and there were all those horror stories going around.

That, and the major reason being I needed a M$ OS to work with older versions of IE. So I went with XP. Vista looks nicer, I agree, but beauty is only skin (or pixel) deep. Other things came first in my case. Does it really operate that much differently?

11. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

13. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

If it does what you want it to, doesn't crash and is secure, what's not to like?

14. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I think many of things that people don't like about Windows are the little things. I use Vista and Leopard/Tiger regularly and I think Vista is a fine OS, but where OS X really shines is the level of polish and simplicity that it has. When Windows gives errors, most of the time they are not helpful at all to the average user and just leave them hanging, while OS X seems to make it easier to understand for the average user. Also, configuration for a lot of thing in Windows is much harder than it needs to be like for File Sharing which I've found much simpler in OS X. For more technical users these things may not be problematic but they still aren't desired and ultimately the little things do build up and make the user experience somewhat unpleasant.

15. nplima macrumors 6502a

HI,

it took me about a week using Vista before I felt that XP was clunky and old.
    The accessories improved a lot... like calendar which feels like outlook without processing email;
    sync works great with my Nokia phone;
    wi-fi gets ready considerably faster than on XP;
    the app for photo viewing is very good;
    the "run as" feature for installing stuff when you're not Admin user works almost as nicely as "sudo";
    Media Centre is actually very good, the only reason I am still using iTunes is lazyness;
    using Bluetooth was dramatically improved and simplified;

yeah, there's stuff I'd change, but overall I actually like Vista (home premium edition).

16. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I don't mind Vista at all…

But I still use XP to get my work done (PC side)…

17. djellison macrumors 68020

It'd be interesting to see what someone who likes Vista has to say comparing it to XP. At home and at work, I use XP over Vista. There is nothing that I couldn't do in XP that I could in Vista, and Vista just seems more annoying and gets in the way more often, doing more things. I spend more time shouting at Vista than XP. So I got rid of it and went back to XP. Even for free, I would still pick XP over Vista.

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ that's exactly the words of so many I've heard that made me go with XP!

19. nplima macrumors 6502a

On the subject of doing things on Vista that you can't do on XP:
    - try using XP calendar app for setting an appointment and having a warning pop up on your screen;
    - try removing red-eye effect on a photo using XP photo preview;
    - try installing MS Office and Google Desktop Search without having to log off and back on as an admin user;
    - try controlling sound output for individual apps under XP;

I am tempted to guess that you use an admin account for day to day use under any of these OS versions, am I right?

NL

20. klb028 macrumors 6502

Not at all. When it's the only thing available to use, I don't mind Vista. My dad's laptop has it, and it's nice to use something different every once in a while. I still prefer Leopard, and I'll most likely never end up running Bootcamp or Parallels on my MacBook.

21. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Good evidence as to why Vista sucks compared to XP. You must be pretty impatient because it takes very little time to get used to where things are located. It sounds like you didn't even want to take the time to open-mindedly try it and even if when you did you already had the decision in your mind that you were going to hate it. Enjoy your dinosaur of an OS with 2001 technologies.

22. naftalim macrumors 6502

Yes, its horribly wrong;) Is there a 12-step program for people like you? If not, maybe you can do penance to make up for your Vista Love/Like

I know what you can do, shave the Apple Logo into your head like the one here. That way, your loyalties are never really in question

I mean how does your OSX feel when you flirt with Vista part of the time?

Attached Files:

23. kabunaru Guest

All I have to say is Vista is a better OS than XP.
    As for your original concern, I don't see anything wrong in liking Vista.