Is iTunes my problem, or something else?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coday182, Mar 21, 2009.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

Ok so lately my computer (2.2 GHZ c2d macbook, 2.5GB) has been acting more like a windows machine. The biggest problem I'm having is with iTunes. I'm running 8.02. Now I probably got the upgrade about a week or two after it came out, so I've had it for a while. Up until maybe the past 1.5-2 weeks, I haven't had too many problems. There was one issue about something with the Genius' file being corrupt, and I couldn't even open iTunes but I don't like Genius anyways so I just deleted it. So anyways lately iTunes has been getting really really laggy. My first thought was that my library was getting too big, especially for my ext. drive (usb 2.0 500gb). But then I thought to myself... then why did it work fine for so long up until now? (I literally have it velcroed to the lid of the computer and basically take it everywhere). Plus I've read some people on here who have >1TB libraries and mine is 78 GB. I've been using almost primarily lossless music, too, but it does the same thing with mp3's of any bitrate. And finally it freezes up any other programs that I try to use alongside it. For example, if I try to drag a tune from itunes->Toast or itunes->Ableton, then both programs freeze up. Oh yeah and I can only add files by going to the menu>file>add to library. Where as up until about a day ago I could just do the normal double click on mp3 in Finder and it would load automatically. If I do that now it just freezes and won't come back. And even when I do it the old fashioned way it still takes for ever. I just added 7 16 bit .wav files and it probably took about 7 minutes.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm a thorough person lol. So is this iTunes or is it hardware or another software? I wish there was a way to fix it without upgrading, because being a DJ and producer, I frequently have to drag/drop files from itunes to Ableton, Toast, or Logic. Losing that would greatly slow down my work flow.

2. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

Oh yeah and when iTunes is open, then any other program that uses media from the ext. HD becomes slow and has the instantaneous freeze-ups.