Is iTunes watching me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laurencia7, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

so my aunt and I share the same music taste, can I share my iTunes purchased songs with her via iTunes Playlist, then burned to CD, then her putting into her iTunes? Or will a violation go off? Since I bought them, and my name is on the "purchaser" info. Does that info transfer to CD?

Just wondering. Please answer if you know.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Burning to CD removes any DRM but also decreases the audio quality. If you're asking "can I share my iTunes purchased songs" in terms of its legality: no. You certainly have the ability to do so in the manner you described and no, your "info" wouldn't be attached to the CD audio files.

Additionally, your aunt would experience yet another decrease in audio quality when importing from CD into her iTunes as MP3.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No, a violation will not go off. Just burn the files onto a CD or flash drive and import it into your aunt's computer. As long as you don't contact the RIAA while you're doing it, there won't be a problem.

4. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why does the audio quality decrease? I'm wondering honestly. When I was in High School av class, we were taught that only analog audio degraded with copying but that digital remained constant. What's the hitch here?

6. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

Lossy compression.