Is iWeb really going away?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mel E, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Mel E macrumors newbie

With all the recent announcements regarding iCloud, I've read that Apple will not be upgrading their iWeb software. I had plans to create a simple web site on MobileMe using iWeb. Do I wait to see what plans Apple has for iWeb or punt?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah it's going away, so I'd recommend finding something else to make your site with.

3. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If you have iWeb you can make your website and upload it to any server you like, you don't need mobile me for that. As long as iWeb runs on the Os you use this will work.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

5. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

any info on what's going to happen with web.me.com links?

are the links going to die in a similar fashion as the homepage.mac.com links?

[ie- i'll sometimes upload to my iDisk->Web->Sites folder then send someone a link to it.. ]

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

iWeb may or may not be going away, though it's not being updated in so long isn't a good sign. MobileMe web hosting is going away, in July 2012, unless you switch to iCloud before then.

jW

7. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

ok.. i could easily be in slo-mo today but i'm still not quite clear on what's going to happen..

say i plan on switching to icloud before 07/12

i upload a file today to my idisk.. like this screenshot-->

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, say i open this thread two years from now.. will i still be able to see the above image?

8. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Is iWeb really going away?

Yep.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Going away? I'd say its already gone. Just consider the latest version of iLife - no iWeb :(

Too bad, of all the apps of iLife, this was the one I used the most. I still have it on my computer and still use it for single page or small websites. While the code is certainly not SEO friendly, banging out a website was never easier and the integration with apple apps made it all the better.

Oh well, it appears apple has moved on and iWeb is going the way of iCards and other apple services/products that no longer fit its vision of the future.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I actually wipe/reinstalled my system just to get rid of iWeb :p

It was a great product for its time, but isn't as useful in today's day and age.

11. Koll macrumors member

12. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

Ditto. Sorry to see it go.

Freeway Express seems like a fairly easy-to-learn drag'n'drop approach to web design, but it is definitely a lot more involved than iWeb.

If anybody knows of something closer to iWeb's simplicity, I'd love to hear about that.

13. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I'd suggest RapidWeaver.

I found it to be easier than iWeb in some respects, especially when I went to set up a website on GoDaddy instead of me.com. And it's very scalable: from a site where you just dump a bunch of photos for a "for sale" item, to an online store. And it has a super-active base of users so it's easy to get help.

And although RW comes with more than enough to set up lots of good sites, you can go crazy buying other themes and plugins. But access to those means you can built sites that look much better than iWeb sites and do much more.

Here's a brief comparison:

http://www.webkarnage.net/rapidweaving/move2rw.html

Many many iWeb users have moved over, so you'll find lots of support. But unfortunately there isn't any quick and easy way to "import" an iWeb website into another application.

Rob

14. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

so i checked around a few other spots and i think the answer at this time is unknown.. but speculation leans heavy on the side that no, this image won't be visible in 2 years.