Is iWork a good choice for a Windows/ MS Office refugee?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tumbleweed666, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Just configuring an iMac and debating whether to get iWork at the same time. Have been using MS Office on various Windows versions for a very long time but the new MS office I'd get on Mac (If I went for that) has quite a different interface to the older versions I've been using anyway so there will be some relearning needed whatever I do.

There is a decent saving to be had buying iWork at the time of iMac purchase so wondering if I should go for it. My main concern is not with learning it, but the inevitable need to work with Word and Excel files sent to me by Windows users. Does iWork read the latest (and older) versions of MSOffice and does it also work in practice (other than just in Apples adverts :) to both read and also write files in that format for sending to Windows users?

In case it makes any difference, use is just standard 'home use' nothing heavy duty in terms of huge excel macros or mega complex word documents.

If it doesn't work out I can go for OpenOffice (or whatever its called these days) but seems to me I should be trying something more tailored for Mac.

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Do you own a Mac now? If so, try the trial version of iWork '09. You may find that it is far easier to use than Office.

3. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

No, I am looking to buy an iMac to replace my Windows XP PC. Its not the issue of is it easy to use, I'm sure I'll be able to cope with it, but how good, "in real life" is it at Word & Excel interoperability?

4. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I've purchased both and I use iWork on a daily basis now. The only time I ever open up Office for Mac is when I get a document from a client that is in .docx or that type of format...then I just use Office to open it.

5. jeremybuff macrumors regular

I have tried MS Word4Mac, OpenOffice, NeoOffice, etc.... and I am sorry to report they all suck big time. Word is alright, but crashes.. and you can get viruses from working with it- I do believe (only those macro ones or whatever..), OpenOffice and NeoOffice are both slow as hell and look and act nothing like a Mac app should.

iWork is amazing. Sorry to sound so fanboyish.. but it's just flat out amazing. I highly reccommend you at least give the "trial a try". You've got 30 days to try it, so do that. By the end of that month, you'll love it as much as I do..

6. jive turkey macrumors 6502

In my experience, I have only found one thing that I can do in Excel that I cannot do in numbers (sort by multiple columns). However, there are some things that work better (not to mention are performed easier) in Excel. I use Numbers for every thing that I can as I hope to one day not need any Office products, but if I were only able to use one or the other, I would have to go with Excel.

But to answer your specific question, it opens and handles 99% MS Excel files I have (and I have a boatload). I have one file that is complicated, having circular references and such, that Numbers can't seem to get right. I can edit and save all others, with the only drawback being an occasional hiccup when using conditional formatting.

Pages is not bad. Much easier to use vs. Word for graphics and tables, I think. I don't do anything heavy in Word, so I may not be qualified to tell you how Pages handles all Word documents. I have had minimal problems with outlines and lists (minor formatting issues), which is mainly what I use Word for. Guessing strictly based on what I have experienced, I suspect there may be some bigger problems with some of the Windows version of Word features, such as title and section formatting, but probably nothing that can't be overcome with a little extra work.

I now only use Word for one document, and that is because I have wedded myself to using the notebook view feature (that Mac:Word has) for a particular project. I am migrating that stuff over to Voodoo Pad, at which time I will be done with Word, forever.

Also, if you do presentations or just like to play around a little, Keynote is fantastic. Much, much better than PowerPoint, at least for what I use it for.

7. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You did, of course, check the guide that is linked at the top of the forum page :).
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Comparison_of_iWork_and_Microsoft_Office

Tell us why you need these programs and we can help you out. For example, are you a student or teacher who needs to write a lot of essays? Are you a businessperson who makes a lot of presentations? Are you someone who uses complex spreadsheets? Or are you just typing letters to your family and making the occasional newsletter? ... it does make a difference.

9. Tumbleweed666 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks guys, looks like it should do the job, should be placing an order this week.

------------------------------

Windows XP, Pentium 4 2.6GHz 1GB RAM , 240GB HD :D