Is iWork for iOS worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcadia310, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I've been eyeing the iWork suite for iOS for quite some time now, mainly waiting for Apple to fix the basic things that everyone seems to complain about in the reviews. It's been several months now and Apple has hardly updated the apps. I see a lot of potential but Apple seems stagnant. For those who own the apps, how useful are they? What features are missing that you really want? Is it worth the money? I'd be using the apps for school related things like presentations or word documents.

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I own Keynote and Pages for iOS and I use them mostly for school related things such as taking notes, writing mid-to-short essays, and viewing/making presentations while I am in class or studying.

I mainly use them on my iPad and I'm going to be honest, even though there are drawbacks compared to desktop software, iWork for iOS is one of the most powerful (if not) mobile production suites out there. They are very feature packed and snappy and if you're looking for an above basic set of tools for this, iWork will be your best bet.

There are some annoyances, though, like list creation has been (and still is) a pain in the ass, especially when creating lots of indents and unindenting due to the fact that you have to access a popover and often change the tab to begin modifying the structure. Same goes for changing font styles, you have to access a popover to change the settings. An additional few steps in the process, but I would happily take the trade off.

I have yet to really "use" them for the iPhone, though. I mainly open docs on my iPhone to view them for a second or pick something out of my notes whenever I am away from my computer or iPad so I can't give you much insight on the smaller screen controls.

3. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

There is a huge learning curve, but once you get the hang of it they work great. Of course it will never have as many features as the desktop version.

4. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

I would probably do the majority of my work on a Mac then transfer it to an iOS device. How well does that work?

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well. It has restrictions though. Your numbers tables get unmerged (no idea why). Pages and keynote work flawlessly between the 2. I assume you mean iWork for Mac to iWork for iOS.

6. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Unless you need it, then I wouldn't spend the big $30 on it. Lion is worth $30 to upgrade, but the iWork iOS suite isn't.

So unless you are required to have it for work or anything, don't get it. If you have a MacBook with iWork or Office on it, you really don't need the same suite on your iPhone.

However, if you use an iPad as well, then i say go for it. The iWork suite for iOS is worth it only if you have an iPad. Then the iPhone capabilities is just a cherry on top.