Is iWork seriously this slow one the MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by spikefc3s, Jan 27, 2012.

1. spikefc3s macrumors newbie

As the title says, I am having some serious issues with iWork on a 2011 i5 MBA. I am working in Numbers and every time I click something I get a pinwheel for 30 seconds or longer. I have tried closing everything, restarting, turning it off and letting it sit and powering back on. With activity monitor open I see that iWork is at %100 pcu usage when I am trying to do the simplest of tasks in it.

You would think that a $1200 computer would be able to run the software that was designed for it. Any suggestions before I walk into the apple store and discus this thing across the place?

2. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

What OS are you using? If you upgraded to Lion did you go with the "upgrade" route or "Fresh Install."

I'm on a 2010 MacBook Air with a 1.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2gb of RAM and iWorks works great for me as well as Microsoft Office.

Something isn't right with your system.

3. spikefc3s thread starter macrumors newbie

It came with Lion on it. It is only a couple months old, and the sad thing is that my 04 macbook seems to be running it smoother and faster:( It only seems to have issues with the things I actually need to use it for. Internet browsing is great, iTunes is perfect, just about everything I do on it runs wonderfully. For some strange reason when I have a spreadsheet open it lags and skips and I get a perpetual pinwheel.

4. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Go to the Apple Store - that is not normal at all.

5. spikefc3s thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that is good to hear that it isn't normal. I absolutely love this computer and didn't want something like this to be its downfall. I will go to an apple store tomorrow.

6. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I agree. Not normal at all. I use iWork and Office '11 on mine daily, and I haven't had any pinwheels and CPU usage is minimal.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Like others said, not normal. Numbers is very very fast. Much faster than comparible programs like Excel or Open Office Spreadsheets.

8. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Not normal, at all...
    my macbook air 2011 i5 runs iWork faster than my macbook pro 2011 (thanks to the solid state disk).
    If I was in your shoes I'd do a clean Lion+iWork install and try again. Then, if the problem persists, go to the apple store

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

The first time I used Pages it's so slow too. I thought crap. But the next time it was just back to normal.

10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

How big is the Numbers spreadsheet ? Does it have a large data table? Numbers is not great with big spreadsheets.