Is iWork seriously this slow one the MBA?

spikefc3s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
As the title says, I am having some serious issues with iWork on a 2011 i5 MBA. I am working in Numbers and every time I click something I get a pinwheel for 30 seconds or longer. I have tried closing everything, restarting, turning it off and letting it sit and powering back on. With activity monitor open I see that iWork is at %100 pcu usage when I am trying to do the simplest of tasks in it.

You would think that a $1200 computer would be able to run the software that was designed for it. Any suggestions before I walk into the apple store and discus this thing across the place?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
What OS are you using? If you upgraded to Lion did you go with the "upgrade" route or "Fresh Install."

I'm on a 2010 MacBook Air with a 1.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2gb of RAM and iWorks works great for me as well as Microsoft Office.

Something isn't right with your system.

spikefc3s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
It came with Lion on it. It is only a couple months old, and the sad thing is that my 04 macbook seems to be running it smoother and faster:( It only seems to have issues with the things I actually need to use it for. Internet browsing is great, iTunes is perfect, just about everything I do on it runs wonderfully. For some strange reason when I have a spreadsheet open it lags and skips and I get a perpetual pinwheel.

spikefc3s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
Ok, that is good to hear that it isn't normal. I absolutely love this computer and didn't want something like this to be its downfall. I will go to an apple store tomorrow.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Like others said, not normal. Numbers is very very fast. Much faster than comparible programs like Excel or Open Office Spreadsheets.

canesalato

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Not normal, at all...
my macbook air 2011 i5 runs iWork faster than my macbook pro 2011 (thanks to the solid state disk).
If I was in your shoes I'd do a clean Lion+iWork install and try again. Then, if the problem persists, go to the apple store

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
The first time I used Pages it's so slow too. I thought crap. But the next time it was just back to normal.