General Is jailbreak necessary/recommended/gainful for this issue?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SabineTLK, Jan 4, 2014.

1. SabineTLK macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I'm obviously new, and I hope I'm posting in the right subforum.

I need to know the list of remembered (as in, all of them, not just those in range) networks that my phone has used in the last year or so. I am under the understanding that jailbreaking my phone would allow me the necessary permissions to access the /private/var/Keychains/keychain-2.db file I need.

But I have questions, and if anyone can answer them in user friendly way, it would be immensely appreciated.

1) Can i backup my iphone just in case something with the jailbreak goes horribly wrong? Is this reliable?
    2)Once that's completed, how simple is it to access these files and once there, is it relatively easy to decipher the the needed information. I don't care about passwords(I know that there is an app available for that) I only want to know the network names.

Thank you all in advance!

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

yes, of course! you always want to make a backup with itunes before you jailbreak just in case something goes wrong. if the jailbreak goes wrong and you get stuck in a boot loop or something, just enter DFU mode, restore to the latest signed version and restore from the backup you made before starting the jailbreak

Once jailbroken, you can install "WiFi Passwords" from cydia, run it and all the networks you have connected to will be there (along with the passwords)

3. SabineTLK thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!

No extra stupid question, where do I go/what do I do to jailbreak it?

Meghan

4. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

5. SabineTLK thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks! I got it all figured out. Now, I'm probably asking for too much, but is there any way to know the IP addresses through which I was connected on said Networks?

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

do you mean the external IP or internal IP? internal IP is dynamic; external IP is dynamic for most people as well

none as far as i'm aware of though

7. SabineTLK thread starter macrumors newbie

Even a dynamic one is ok. I just need a starting point(any IP address used by that network.

But I'm taking it such a way to retrieve that doesn't exist?

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

There probably is a way, but none as easily as opening an app