Is jailbreaking a touch worth it

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jimbobyorks, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jimbobyorks macrumors newbie

hi folks

am struggling with this cracking lark.

Have used ziphone 3.0 and after three gos got it to work okay but now all I get is the itunes logo and the usb power cable icon on the screen and it comes up with an error when I open itunes so what has a man to do to get music etc and the extra apps onto the thing, been doing it for about two hours now so losing patience and thinking of restoring and leaving at it is so any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

2. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

Try to get ZiPhone 2.6b it works the best so far... And i think it is worth it...especially since you will have to pay for the App Store and most of the apps that can be downloaded....But try ZiPhone 2.6b and see if it works for you...or i hve been hearing good things about iLiberty, try that too and see if it works for ya...

Good Luck!

3. jimbobyorks thread starter macrumors newbie

Had a go with the Iliberty program and bingo, worked first time, now I need to fathom how to get the new stuff on the ipod. Maps and stuff etc

cheers for the little snippet of info, know any good links to where I can get good correct info for adding other apps.

Thanks again

Jimbobyorks :):):):)

4. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/wiki/index.php?title=IPod_touch_Installer_source_list

this site has most if not all the available sources...and info on what they supply

5. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

it's up to you, but I didn't find anything worth it. Also, after I jailbroke my phone, it broke. The headphone port stopped working. Restoring fixed that, but still... I wasted about 4 hours trying to jailbreak, with restoring twice, due to program errors, and syncing music, only to find out that it didn't work right, STILL. It's up to you, but if you can wait for the App Store, I'd suggest it.

6. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

The only problem is iPod Touch users have to pay a nominal fee to download the App Store plus money for the apps....lol

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Try restoring and using iLibertyX. ziphone 3 didn't work for me either, and there's been a metric sh#^ ton of posts saying the same thing.

And as for whether or not it's worth it, it depends on what kind of person you are. If you're geeky, a little brave (or stupid, depending on your perspective) and hands on, it's great. I love putting additional apps and games on my touch.

If you are not a tinkerer, wants things to just work, and are willing to wait on Apple, you may want to wait until (hopefully) June. I'm a little bit of a geek, and my gf is an ease of use type. After watching me play with the apps on my touch, she wanted me to jb hers. I did so, and after explaining that she was now offically outside of Apple's safe, walled playground, she's considering having me restore it.

Being able to restore the touch to its original settings through iTunes under almost any conditions is a big plus, in my opinion. Consider that an insurance policy.

8. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

My Touch was jaibroken, until I accidently updated from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3 and was left with a bare bones iPod. The only apps I ever used were the iPhone apps so I bought the January upgrade and couldn't be happier - I have a full working iPod, no worries about instability etc.

So I guess it depends. If all you need are the iPhone apps, buy them. If you need more, jailbreak. it just wasn't worth it for me.

9. joefinan macrumors 6502a

10. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

My biggest want is for a real IM client ( I'm sorry, beeJive doesn't cut it ) and so far I haven't seen it. As far as I can tell neither is multi-protocol (yet) and that's a no-go for me.

Games and other stuff would be nice, but it's not worth the time and instability for me.

11. JAT macrumors 603

Guess it depends on what you want to do. The book reader is just about worth the $400 to me, after all, that's what the Kindle costs. Add in some games to while away a few minutes here and there, mobile dictionary (without wifi), mobile Wikipedia....definitely worth it to me. The only Apple app I frequently use is Notes and the freebies. And Converter is another app worth plenty to me.

I was all about to drop $70 on a nice HP-12C since my old calculator is about to drop dead. Now that's on my Touch, saved me $70. (although I do need to drop a donation to the guy, maybe I should put that in a Note)

12. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

I was going to say no because most of the apps are not that apple quality style apps. Its worth it if you like to custmoize your own home screen, thats about it. Then I found out about MX-Tube and now I have to say, it is so worth it (for me at least), being able to find and download your favorite videos from youtube and save it to your iPod for later viewing without wifi is just awesome. Now I can have a backlog of Foamy videos for viewing when in line at a store.

13. JAT macrumors 603

Yeah, well. I'd say some of the Apple apps are not Apple quality, either. Like Weather.