Apple TV Is Jailbreaking an Apple TV for Me?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmine83, Oct 6, 2012.

1. jmine83 macrumors member

I have recently heard that the Apple TV can be jailbroken. Although technically, the current 3rd generation model can not be jailbroken. If I am wrong, please let me know. Anyways, I was just curious why its even worth it to jailbreak an Apple TV and what the benefits are. More importantly, are the "benefits" specific features or improvements that are worth it to me specifically based on my media habits and interests.

I will briefly explain what I watch and how I watch the TV shows and movies that I do. Then simply tell me based on my habits and interests if jailbreaking might be worth it to me. First off, for the most part the genre of tv shows and movies that I watch are all animated kid's shows (mainly Cartoon Network), serious spiritual anime, and animated kid's movies (Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.). Other movies I might watch are the classic accredited, big-budget action/adventure/sci-fi type films of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Ideally I prefer to buy tv show episodes and movies off of iTunes (not rent). I am personally not into monthly rental or access services because (1) I prefer to build up a personal library that I own that is not dependent on network access in order to play the media and (2) I have briefly looked over major provider services like Net Flix and Hulu, however, based on my personal media preferences I have described I have found that very few titles of the medias that I am interested in are on Net Flix or Hulu. If I did commit to a monthly access service, it would need to have "all" of the shows and movies that I like. If there is such a service that has all the shows and movies I like, please let me know.

2. Vetvito macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking is good for streaming movies off your home network with apps like plex.

3. rMacBookPro macrumors member

+1