Is jailbreaking anti-Apple?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by BluAffiliate, Apr 1, 2013.

1. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

I find it kind of appalling that jailbreaking has become so vogue to the point that even MacRumors will post news updates when Jailbreak tools are released. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Anyone feel its kind of.. anti-Apple and is causing the decline of Apple?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68000

TheAppleFairy

Who cares if it's anti-Apple? It's pro-consumer, I am a jailbreaker, but don't do anything illegal. I don't pirate apps, I don't steal music. I simply like a few of the tweaks.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No, Because I cannot understand why anyone gives a FFF whether someone else JB or not.

Why on earth do you care?

How does it effect you?

Would your life be better if no one JB!?

"Anti-Apple"!!?? Please, this is not a religious or ethnic group...it's a giant corporation!!

Step back, take a deep breath...and get a little perspective, here.

BTW: I do not JB...never have, never will...but I could care less what others do. It's their business, and as my Grandmother used to say...they should live and be well.:D

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Are you serious? I love Apple products, but I want to hack my own paid for hardware, no one will tell me I can't!!! And if the do, I'll tell them to F off!

6. BluAffiliate thread starter macrumors regular

You realize Apple frowns on this and you know why?

-It's borderline illegal, and definitely open the ability to do illegal things like piracy.
    -Can ruin your device, Apple is against it.
    -Using the device in authorized ways, breaking apps like Snapchat's purposes.

It's like using cheats in an online game.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Apple frowns on this and I'm supposed to shake in my boots?
    And as far as illegal, do you know in some states it's only legal to have sex missionary style? And if you're gay you're out of luck. Don't tell me about laws. I'll do what the F I want, when I want...

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

It's kind of pro-Apple. The JB guys find security holes Apple can fix the next patch round. While I don't JB my actual devices anymore I'm always amazed how these guys find ways.

I can't see Apple decline because of JB or Google/Samsung because of rooting.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I jailbreak my phone because Apple doesn't give me a way to block calls not in my contacts. That is the one feature that I have always wanted and they won't give it to me. DND does not work the way I want. iBlacklist hangs up on the caller not giving them a chance to go to VM.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I jailbreak for accessible reasons as I can only use one hand which is my left. It is very hard to control an iPad whether I want to take a screenshot, turn up the volume, or even turning it off because of my problem and the fact that, unlike an iPhone, the controls are on the right side of the device.

Yes, you can do it from the AssistiveTouch feature, but it makes you much slower because the button gets in the way and you're always having to reposition it. I like being able to use two finger swipe to get to the multitasking bar which pretty much gives me the same options, but with just two swipes.

I also do it to hide app I don't use, because honestly, there are replacements for everything now.

11. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I feel it's kind of weird you feel as though Apple is suffering and you want to help them by telling others not to do bad things that could hurt them.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

So you frown upon modifying your phone, what about other things? Do you not sand furniture because the original maker didn't want you to? Houses? Better not paint them or renovate unless you use the original architect.

Once you buy it, it's yours. Do what you want with it. Apple is a company, they're not your friend.

13. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

No? :(:(

Of course not. :rolleyes: I really like my iphone and the Apple ecosystem-don't JB and am not interested-but will never judge anyone who does. I do caution people I know to be careful if they do it because of certain risks but if you are aware and want some of the neat tweaks go for it! Just don't steal apps/music/films etc. and do what you want!!! :apple:

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Apple is a hardware company. They pull in the vast majority of their revenue from hardware sales. If you are jailbreaking it implies that you have bought an Apple device.

How exactly is that anti-Apple?

15. Renzatic, Apr 2, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2013

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No. It's like being the administrator of your iPhone rather than logging into it on a user account.

...which is exactly what jailbreaking is.

16. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

It's a corporation. I don't feel like someone is a bad person because they jailbreak.
    You paid for the device, so I wouldn't call it illegal.,
    So I shouldn't jailbreak because it gives me a way to break the law? Should I use my computer?
    So? The risk you run. Nothing anti-Apple about it.
    So?

17. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The risks of ruining a jailbroken iPhone are about the same as turning on your computer and downloading a bunch of random UI mods.

In other words, all it takes is a little common sense to keep from breaking your stuff.

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Since Jailbreaking pretty much requires you to be in the possession of an Apple device anyway, I'd say that it isn't anti-Apple.

19. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

How would an optional hack that allows you to do MORE with a product contribute to it's DECLINE? Jailbreaking would drive iDevice sales, as those who would normally buy an Android for the customisation + OS features would have the option of Jailbreaking an iDevice instead.

----------

You can pirate stuff without jailbreaking. And there's a difference between something being illegal and it being immoral. Even if it were illegal (which it isn't) jailbreaking is a victimless crime.

These days it's very difficult to ruin your device by jailbreaking, and if you DO manage to then it's your own fault & problem.

And? I honestly don't care what Apple thinks.

20. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

You'd think if someone didn't like Apple they wouldn't have bought an iDevice in the first place.

And no, Jailing breaking isn't causing the decline of Apple. Apple would be the cause of its decline by producing products customers don't want to use / buy, giving itself a bad reputation... Don't blame the customer.

Though personally I haven't seen much evidence of a 'decline' you speak of.