Is jailbreaking as easy as Rooting and install ROM on Android ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am possibly thinking of getting a Verizon iPhone4, but only once there is a solid stable jailbreak untethered.

I like to mess around with different themes, and like the transparent look, minimalistic style, simple and clean. Is there a way to make the iPhone4 look somewhat close to my EVO home screen ?

[​IMG]

2. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Use Gridlock.

I dont know why you'd put an Android theme on an iPhone. That's like burning Marilyn Monroe's face

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't want it to look 100% like that, mainly the transparent style, and simple and clean look.

And overall is jailbreaking and installing themes rather difficult, or not too hard to figure out ?

4. bella92108 macrumors 68000

No, Android is a lot easier to customize overall. I've had both and iOS is a lot harder because to make a single cohesive look you want, you have to apply a dozen different aspects. The best example is the Win 7 theme, which requires about 5 dependencies just for the layout look. The bummer is how when the iOS version gets updated, ALL of the dependency apps have to be updated to support the new OS and if just one doesn't get updated you can't have that theme. It's not a huge deal, but in general Android is easier to customize beyond stock than iPhone... but like anything it's a matter of comfort and personal preference. :)

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its different than droid rooting.
    Research to find out details about iphone JB, cydia, theme packages, winterboard etc....
    Its a compete different world.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think it would be possible to make your iPhone 4 look like that you've got pictured.

The top could be any one of dozens of SB widgets/themes that are out there. Probably would need to mod them if you have those skills. Doubting you'd want two weather widgets on your home page but that too could also be done.

The icon spacing can easily be done with GridLock

The dock would require a custom dock.png along with Infinidock to get the three icons there. You'd also need custom icons for those apps in the dock as well.

Overall though, if you have the patience/skills, I think you could pull that look off.

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a