Is jailbreaking free?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by twilliams9476, Jul 28, 2010.

1. twilliams9476 macrumors member

This is probably a stupid question, but is it free to jailbreak my iPod touch? I have the 2nd generation, 8GB iPod Touch, with iOS4. Is it possible to jailbreak this iPod, or will I have to downgrade my OS? Also, when I visited ziPhone (like everyone said), it said you had to purchase it for $29.99. Maybe I am just really naive, but I just assumed it was free to jailbreak an iPod. Can anyone assist me with this? Thanks! :)

2. SoraLimit macrumors regular

It's free. If you've heard otherwise, then you're being scammed. Just download redsn0w beta for iOS4, if you want to jailbreak.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

4. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. So this is what I get when I try to follow the instructions, which said to download the latest file:

Bandwidth limit exceeded

We are sorry, but this site has exceeded its bandwidth limit at this time. Please try again later. For more information, see Google Sites help.

HELP PLEASE!!! :( :confused::confused:

5. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

What do you mean by latest file? Which file is giving you trouble to download?

6. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so here is the process I went through:

1.) Went to google and typed in this: "redsn0w beta for iOS4"
    2.) I then clicked on the first link, which is this: "http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/06/21/jailbreak-iphone-3g-on-ios-4-with-redsn0w/"
    3.) Then, I proceeded to follow this set of instructions:
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G iOS 4

Step 1: Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes installed (iTunes 9.2).

Step 2: Download iOS 4 for iPhone 3G to your desktop from our iPhone downloads section.

Step 3: Update your iPhone to iOS 4 via iTunes.

Step 4: Download the latest version of RedSn0w from here.

Step 5: Point RedSn0w to the iOS 4 you downloaded in step 2.

Step 6: Select “Install Cydia”.

Step 7: Follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 8: Let RedSn0w do the hard work for you. Once jailbroken, your iPhone will reboot.

4.) With step 2, I went to the iPhone download section, and downloaded the ISPW for the "iPod Touch 2G, iOS4" (which took about 30 minutes)

5.) I then went to step 4 (skipping step 3, because my iPod has already been upgraded to iOS4), and proceeded to try and download the newest RedSn0w for Mac, and what I posted in my previous post is what happened when I clicked to download the newest RedSn0w. After that not working, I then downloaded the next-newest RedSn0w.

6.) After downloading RedSn0w, I then followed the instructions, and this is what I got: "Unable to recognize specified IPSW."

And that is as far as I got. Can you help? Thank you!!!

7. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Use this link for redsn0w: http://rapidshare.com/files/400621469/redsn0w_mac_0.9.5b5-2.zip

The redsn0w file you downloaded was probably released before iOS4, so it wouldn't have recognized the firmware. The one above is what you will need for your Touch.

You said you have a 2G Touch? IMO, I would downgrade to 3.1.2. You will still be able to jailbreak.

On the other hand, you could just run this version of redsn0w with iOS4, and it will give you the option of having Apple's native multitasking, wallpaper feature, and numerical battery percentage (along with installing Cydia for jailbreaking.)

Holla back and let us know what's going on.

8. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I downloaded the file you advised. After I opened the program, it asks me this: Please select the corresponding IPSW for your CURRENT firmware. After that, there is nothing but blank space for about 3 inches, then it has an option to "Browse". I am confused as to where to continue from here.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You need to point redsn0w to the iPod's software file, which you will be able to download from here:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Make sure it's 4.0 for the 2G touch.

10. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

The .ipsw file will be located in Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > iTunes > iPod Software Updates

Attached Files:

11. mstrze macrumors 68000

So what gain does a programmer get from creating the ability to jailbreak? Obviously the software to jailbreak is free...is cracking the code enough of a boost to pay for the time and effort? Are these programmers the same ones selling JB programs and therefore will benefit on that side of the table?

Maybe I'm just a crazy capitalist, but it doesn't make sense to give stuff away for free. You gotta pay the bills.

12. 213rules macrumors member

I'm going to assume you have the current redsn0w beta. One place to find the firmware (if you updated through iTunes) is C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates. This is in Windows Vista (although it should work in Windows 7). There will be a file named iPod2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore. Point redsn0w to that file. Then follow the instructions. That's how I did it a month ago.

And never pay for a jailbreak. Those guys just use redsn0w/Spirit/blackra1n/sn0wbreeze/whatever, but charge you money and time for it. Do it yourself.

EDIT: If you're on a Mac, the ipsw is at Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > iTunes > iPod Software Updates (got this from saxon48's post.

13. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Ya know, I've always wondered that myself. There is an actual store from within Cydia, but it doesn't seem like there's enough apps in there for everyone (few or many) on the dev team to make a reasonable profit. Ads seem slim too.

14. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

I give up. I did EXACTLY what ya'll told me to do, and I'm still getting the same result: "Unable to recognize specified IPSW." If anyone else has another route, please tell me, because as of right now, I'm giving up. :mad:

15. SoraLimit macrumors regular

1) When did you get your iPod? Because MC models can't be jailbroken as of yet.

2) Use this (This is the most recent version of redsn0w beta):
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XUHEE4WR

16. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

I got my iPod the day that Apple brought out the "buy a macbook, get a free iPod" (around the end of May). Still, I haven't even connected my iPod. All I have done is download what I was told, and tried to connect RedSn0w to the firmware I downloaded from the internet, and it still didn't work. :confused:

17. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Check if it's an MC model. On your iPod, go to (off the top of my head) Settings>General>About, and if it says MC at the beginning of your model #, you cant jailbreak on iOS4 as of yet I believe.

18. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Well crap...that sucks...I just spent the past 2 days trying to jailbreak it...ugh...that sucks...To the people who gave me advice and help, I'm sorry for wasting your time. But thank you for getting prepared for the day when you CAN jailbreak my model! :)

19. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Anytime. :)

Hopefully the MC model Touch and iPhone 4 jailbreaks will be coming very soon!