Is Jailbreaking iPhone really safe?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PhillinGrubby, Dec 23, 2010.

1. PhillinGrubby macrumors newbie

I have never jailbreaken my iPhone, so I was wondering if it is pretty safe? I have ios 4.2.1 right now and I was thinking about using Redmond pie. Have you guys ever heard of it and what do you guys think?

2. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Not sure what Redmond Pie is, but jailbreaking is safe as long as you follow some basic precautions. Most important, change your root password afterward. Once done, just be careful what you install—learn about it first. Most people I come across who have a screwed up jailbroken iPhone did it by installing too much poorly-coded system-changing rubbish.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As far as I know, there is no jailbreak for 4.2.1 yet, but I am no expert
    So you may have to wait with everyone else

4. QuarterSwede, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Redmond Pie is a great jailbreaking (among other things) blog. iClarified also has a great guide wizard as well as YouTube. OP, you'll want to use redsn0w to jailbreak.

My advice is to stay far away from Winterboard and any tweak that uses it. It's the number one thing that's caused instability with all of my jailbreaks. Unfortunately that pretty much means no themes. Fortunately for me, I think they're almost all butt ugly anyway. ;)

Redsn0w can jailbreak 4.2.1 on any iDevice. It's currently tethered but it works (OP, that means you have to run redsn0w [the jailbreak] everytime you reboot).

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

When I jail broke my iPhone I installed so much crap on it that it slowly stopped working.

I still miss the "You've got mail!" noise when I got email lol.

6. PhillinGrubby thread starter macrumors newbie

btw, what does tethered mean? Also which is better limera1n or redmond pie? My cousin recommended limera1n, since it pretty much does everything for you.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sorry I'm a bit of an editing fiend. Here's what I added after you read it, I'm guessing.
    Again, redmond pie is a blog. Redsn0w is the jailbreaking app. It uses the limera1n exploit (the hole that allowed the hackers to jailbreak the device).

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

JB is safe

have no idea what on earth is redmond pie,,,,,

only 4.2.1 jB currently is redsn0w and it is a tethered JB.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Post #4 explained that. :D

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, Jailbreaking has deadly side-effects. That's why we all do it.

11. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

As stated before, Redmond Pie is a very helpful blog. To jailbreak you'll need to use redsn0w. You can google it and find a download of the software, it's free. If you search on how to jailbreak an iPhone, Redmond Pie will probably be the first search result (or one of them).

As for if it's safe, you cannot "brick" your iPhone. You can temporarily throw your phone into a constant freak-out, to put it in lamens terms (your phone will just shut off and reboot over and over). This can be fixed and will just require a full restore. If you do decide to jailbreak, i'd definitely recommend backing up your data often if it is at all precious to you.

12. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

As long as you don't keep your jailbroken phone in one of your front pockets or in a holster on your belt you will be fine.

13. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

If you jailbreak you will get AIDS, so it is not safe.

14. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Change the default password if you're gonna use SSH.

15. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Nothing is truly safe.

This site has guides. Maybe you should post your questions at redmond pie since you want to use their guides. They might be better suited to comment on their own material. Seems odd to me to come here to ask for assistance with another site.

16. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

It's safe. I only suggest it to someone who's willing to stay up-to-date regarding the jailbraking community. By that I mean someone who will read up on what's safe to update and when, not bothered by having to restore your phone "as new" every now and again, and is comfortable with some trial and error.

If you decide to go through with it I'm sure you'll be happy. Just read from the reputable tutorials (Redmond Pie and iClarified are great) and never pay for any jailbreaking tools like Redsn0w, PwnageTool, etc. The legit stuff is always free.

17. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

Awesome Independently Distributed Software? If so, yes we are all exposed to AIDS. :D

18. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

nice. very nice.