Is jailbreaking safe?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Inspired, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Inspired macrumors regular

Inspired

I own an ipod touch, i am very tempted to jail break. Is it safe in a sense that none of the sensitive infomation in my ipod touch will be leaked to any hackers? This is a concern for me because i work in a company that i will not name, but if any information leaked from my ipod it could effect the company i work for and our stock.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

I dont think you should worry, except choose your applications carefully i suppose. Why are you putting sensitive business critical information on a device you want to jailbreak anyway?

3. Inspired thread starter macrumors regular

Inspired

Im also using this ipod as a personal planner for my meetings and such

4. dylanweber macrumors newbie

Jailbreaking...

Jail-breaking an iPod Touch or a iPhone is very easy to undo (sometimes). It all depends what do you want to do. If you mean by Jail-breaking it and completely ruining the software, then undoing is hard because iTunes may not be able to see the iPod or iPhone. Normally, if you want to just put a tiny hack and thats it, then yeah. Its safe. But if you want to change a file, so called (I'm making this up) iTunesplugin.plugin on your iPhone/iPod Touch, then no. Some things that can happen, like SpringBoard can crash (super-duper easy fix, just tap and its fine). But you get it from there, MAKE SURE ITUNES CAN RECOGNIZE YOUR :apple: IPHONE/IPOD TOUCH!

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you are that worried, just don't turn on SSH, and change the SSH password from alpine to something else. Then no one will be able to "hack" into your phone.