Is jailbreaking your phone worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SandersHokie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I should have my iPhone 3G in about 15 days or so. I have tried reading up on jailbreaking, and the biggest negative I see is that you cannot upgrade to the latest software as easily.

However, it would be cool to be able to play NES Emulator on my iPhone and change the background on the menu screen. But I'm just not sure if that is worth it. With the new app store we can download things from the store just as easy.

What are the pros and cons?

2. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

3. yode macrumors 6502

YES it is worth it, mainly for the Apps that won't make it to the official app store
    Cons: Not being able to update to the latest official firmware until a custom approved jailbroken one is made. Although you can restore your iPhone and update normally.. if you want the new update that badly

4. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

how long does it usually take for a jailbroken one to be made?

Also, not to sound bad or anything, but is it illegal to have a jailbroken phone?

Will is mess anything up on my phone if I jailbreak it?

Thanks again.

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

No matter what you can restore your phone back to factory default. So no real worries on breaking anything.

6. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

also, what is the best / most popular website to get applications and the different things I can do for a jailbroken phone?

7. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

can you jailbreak the new iPhone 3G? Where is the best website that shows how to do it?

8. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

This statement should be true, but isn't. There are plenty of people, here on this forum even, that had problems with a jailbroken phone, restored it, and the problems weren't fixed. Someone (sorry not citation) looked into it and found that a restore won't restore everything on the phone. The most recent case I came across was a guy who installed some software that screwed up his camera, and restoring didn't fix it. From what I've read, as long as you install what are declared to be good apps you should be fine. Of course knowing which are good is the trick.

9. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Check out this thread. http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=105 The current firmware has been jailbroken, but there are issues. You can read all about the JB and the issues here.

It looks buggy, so I've been waiting for things to settle before JB'ing. The main reason I wanted to JB was so that I could have themes. However now I'm reconsidering because (1) with so many new apps, a lot of themes probably won't have custom icons for them, so that sort of messes up the look of the theme anyway and (2) I'm pretty satisfied with the App Store. Most of the apps I've wanted were free. A few weren't, but I don't mind paying a few bucks here and there. Hmm...

10. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I didn't find it to be worth it, I mean after chagning your home screen it dosen't really offer much else. only thing I miss from my JB phone is dominoes!

11. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

No, it's not illegal (it will void your warranty, however).

Jailbreaking can mess up. For the most part, it shouldn't mess up anything.

12. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

RIGHT NOW it's really only worth jailbreaking if you are using a 1.1.4 first gen iPhone.

It won't be long though before the bugs of jailbreaking 2.0 will be worked out.

13. slicecom macrumors 68020

I want to jailbreak my phone just to get rid of the stocks and youtube apps. :mad:

14. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I liked the themes with my previous iPhone, but like a previous poster mentioned, most of the App Store apps won't have custom icons.

What I really want to do (besides some great apps that aren't available in the App Store) is change my battery charging and battery status icons from that yucky green and change the conversation bubbles when messaging to other colors. I know that those are silly reasons to JB, but it really made me happy to see colors that I like in those places.

15. hsleiman macrumors regular

Jailbreaking has been perfect for me, absolutely no hang ups, everything works great. Tethering my dell notebook worked flawless and NES is excellent. Jailbreaking is easy to do just be careful not to disturb the phone or the computer while youre doing it. Always sync before jailbreaking. Also, after jailbreaking make sure you tell itunes to set up your phone up as a new phone and then perform a sync to get all your data and contacts back. As of now, there is little you can do to your phones appearance besides changing your carrier logo, changing the charging screen, and missing with your signal bars unless you are willing to do command line editing.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Probably not to me; I'm concerned that JB will void the warranty and too many JB bugs with the new 3G iPhone. You others can go at it...:eek: