Is keeping the charger connected OK?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jrv, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Jrv macrumors regular

I have a 13 inch pro and when I'm at home, I usually just keep the charger connected so I don't have to worry about charging it when I unplug it. Is this bad? Will this wear down my charger/battery?

Also, should I shut down every night while charging, or is it OK to just put it in sleep mode?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

As long as your battery does at least 1 cycle a month you're OK.

That can mean 100-0 in 1 sitting

or 100-20 in 1 sitting, a full charge to 100 and then 100-80

Sleep mode is safe, it is a good idea to do a full reboot once in a while though, but it certainly won't harm anything by using sleep.

3. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

So every month, I should literally just run my battery from 100% until it runs out of juice?

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

During a normal month how many hours do you run it on battery?

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I would highly suggest reading the battery guide that's posted here in the FAQs.

But what you want to do is "keep the juices flowing", in lames terms.

Keeping the MB on the charger won't wear down the battery as you aren't using it, however, keeping the battery topped off for a long period of time isn't good for it either.

Personally, I keep it on the charger as much as possible; however, I know that I take it off the charger every day for a set period of time so the battery is always getting use, even if it's minimal.

If you take it off here and there, don't worry about it, but if you leave it plugged in for months at a time, after calibration you might see some problems.

I think you should go get "coconut battery"; it's a free application that shows the age, health, and charge of the battery.

Very small application and I run it from time to time to see how my battery is holding up.

6. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

I bring it to school 4 times a week at least for a few hours, and on the weekends I'll occasionally sit back on the couch or something without the charger.

So yeah, like at least 4-5 times a week for long periods of time.

7. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, just use it as you normally would.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's fine. It doesn't hurt anything to run with it plugged in. Once the battery is fully charged, it stops charging. Just run on battery occasionally, to keep it healthy, as you're doing. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular