is keynote hard on the cpu?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theWand, Apr 1, 2009.

1. theWand macrumors newbie

this is my fourth post here and have yet to get an answer, but, I was wondering if Keynote '09 was hard on the CPU. I am putting together a slideshow for a big assignment in school, and every action, even selecting a picture or text box has a five second wait for response. then, if I try to play the slide show, the program chokes in between slides, making it impossible to see transitions and build effects after the first slide. I am running a Macbook Pro Unibody 15" 2.53ghz 4GB RAM 320GB HDD (5400) on the high performance setting using the 9600 gpu.

Thanks In Advance

TheWand

2. Burtonsnow9 macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that you haven't gotten a response yet. Now I don't personally use Keynote, but there is no reason that it should be doing that, especially on a new computer. Have you tried opening the Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder) to see what is actually using the CPU? Would be interesting to see if it is indeed Keynote, or if is another program running behind the scenes.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I used Keynote to make a 55 slide presentation with visual effects, etc. on my White Macbook 2.4GHz 2GB RAM GMA X3100 and it worked fine. I looked at iStat nano and it told me it was taking up on average about 10-15% of the CPU power, which is fine. I would open Activity Monitor and see what is taking all of the CPU power, because it shouldn't be Keynote, although it may be a LaunchDaemon associated with Keynote, in which case you may or may not be able to quit it. You have more than enough RAM and CPU power for Keynote, so it must be some stuck process.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No way it should be doing that. You might be using images that are much bigger than you need them to be, so one thing you might try is "Reduce File Size" under the File menu.

5. theWand thread starter macrumors newbie

i took a screen shot with activity monitor straight after opening an unfinished two slide slide show that did not perform up to par, skipping A LOT of frames in transition from slide to slide

Attached Files:

6. theWand thread starter macrumors newbie

after trying several fixes, I have found out that it was keynote that was having issues with the CPU. it was a bug in the program having to do with alpha. i found that removing alpha and reselecting my alpha selection would fix the issues my CPU was having with the program. it's a temporary problem that i hope apple will be able to fix in an update.

thanks for all the help

TheWand

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

8. booste macrumors member

booste

In this instance I'm pretty sure "alpha" refers to the transparency of the images

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You mean "instant alpha"? Perhaps -- I thought so as well. I've never known it to cause such problems though.