Is leather smart cover made of real leather?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iPave, Mar 21, 2011.

1. iPave macrumors member

iPave

I'll be getting my iPad 2 and a smart cover once they become available in Finland next Friday. I really like the look of black smart cover. However, I'm not sure what material it is actually made of (real leather or artificial leather). Due to ethical reasons, I don't want to buy it if it's made of real leather.

Apple just states on their website that "The leather Smart Cover is crafted from high-quality, naturally treated material that gets its color from a rich aniline dye."

Does anyone know what is this "high-quality, naturally treated material"?

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The UK site describes it as aniline-dyed Italian leather. Under UK trade description laws, it would be illegal for Apple to describe it as leather if it wasn't made from real leather.
    I doubt it will be full grain and I suspect it will be the heavily processed pressed out split leather but it will have originated on an animal.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It has to say fake if it's not real so it'll be real and why worry about it? It'll be from a cow that has long been eaten. It's not like it's from and exotic snake or croc!

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

The US online Apple Store refers to them as aniline-dyed Italian leather.

Attached Files:

5. livspop macrumors regular

Finally got my Tan one today. It doesn't really smell like leather. More like a chemically-leatherish smell. Hard to describe. But I do know that as soon as it came, my GF put her nose on it to sniff it and she left a huge smudge! Careful for that...:) I guess now I'm gonna have to get a red one!

6. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I was under the impression they were made from unicorn hyde. :eek:

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

The genius at the apple store told it me it was The same leather Louis Vuitton uses. Haha real talk.

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Most leather comes from cows that were killed for their leather and aren't eaten. There may be some leather that comes from cows that are eaten but that is very rare, especially in the US, Canada, Europe, etc.

And of course some people have issues with killing cows for consumption, whether it is for food or for leather goods.

9. trssho macrumors 6502

It better be, I paid $75 w/ tax for the thing. What a sucker for an Ive's design!

10. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

It's definitely a very very thin slice of leather but it's soft as heck.