Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoeyK

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
I got my amazing M1 MacBook Air on Monday, but haven't really been able to use it for a few days except for the initial set-up, since all my files I need every day are still on my old MacBook that I'm currently cleaning up and sifting through thousands of files lol.

This has resulted in my m1 MacBook just sitting on a shelf looking beautiful for 3-4 days without me using it. It's still on 80% battery and not plugged in.

What I'm wondering is - should I turn it off while it's not being used fully for a few days, or just leave the lid closed? Is it bad in any way for the computer/battery to have the lid closed and not being used? I'm so paranoid thinking it needs to be calibrated out of the box, and that this idleness is somehow detrimental. Tell me I'm wrong! ?

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Ya, I just close the lid, I tend not to shut off my computers, and this thing could probably go 3 months without a charge in closed state.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
"

Store it half-charged when you store it long term.​

If you want to store your device long term, two key factors will affect the overall health of your battery: the environmental temperature and the percentage of charge on the battery when it’s powered down for storage. Therefore, we recommend the following:
  • Do not fully charge or fully discharge your device’s battery — charge it to around 50%. If you store a device when its battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding a charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may lose some capacity, leading to shorter battery life.
  • Power down the device to avoid additional battery use.
  • Place your device in a cool, moisture-free environment that’s less than 90° F (32° C).
  • If you plan to store your device for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
Depending on how long you store your device, it may be in a low-battery state when you remove it from long-term storage. After it’s removed from storage, it may require 20 minutes of charging with the original adapter before you can use it."

I interpret long term storage as measured in months, not days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.