Is Leopard getting slower and slower on Start Up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by micko2004, Feb 12, 2008.

1. micko2004 macrumors newbie

Since I bought and upgraded to Leopard on my White Intel Macbook from Tiger it feels as though every update I am putting on is making the start up time increase more and more. It is now up to just over a minute. When Tiger was on it, which is when I originally bought it, it started in a very short time.

I have done a clean install to Tiger factory discs then an upgrade to Leopard and still it seems slower, even with 10.5.2 on it.

If anyone can help me with this, or have some suggestions as to what I maybe doing wrong it would be very much appreciated. I know it sounds picky and I could just wait another 30 seconds for start up, but it just seems odd.

Many thanks in advance.

Mike.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Give it time to determine the hotfiles. Keep your computer on, and reboot at least every 2.5 days of uptime.

3. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I noticed it too, on startup and shutdown, but I am going to watch it closer. Hotfiles? Is it precaching stuff like Vista does?

The first bootup was fast, then the .1 update got a little slower and .2 is slower yet. It used to shutdown fast, now I get the spinning clock looking thing on my desktop before shutting down.

4. KurtangleTN macrumors 6502a

I agree, I'm noticing a much slower startup time from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2.. and judging by videos of this iMac model booting it's much slower then Tiger (I only had Tiger on for 30 or so minutes before I upgraded to Leopard)

I'd keep this iMac on, but it hums so much it keeps me up at night.

Second thing is the upgrade, I can't understand why Apple wouldn't include a disk that gave us the option of clean installing Leopard, because it seems like a lot of problems are arising from the upgrade option, and unless we want to spend $130, we're **** out of luck.

5. mac2mac macrumors member

Same here my mac used to boot in 23 seconds in tiger now im lucky if it boots in 33 seconds

Here are 2 tips for speeding up bootup / login

1.Go to "system preferences" then "accounts" then "login items" and get rid of anything that you dont want running at login the less thats in there the faster the login will be.

2. If there is something in: /library/startupitems 0R /system/library/startupitems this can slow bootup times and sometimes things that you might have uninstalled stay in "startupitems" folders so get rid of anything in "startupitems" that you don't want - BE VERY CAREFULL WHAT YOU DELETE FROM THESE FOLDERS

6. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Suggestion(even though I use an MBP and not a desktop): Don't ever shutdown. Just send to sleep. Instant on...All the time.

7. akadmon macrumors 68010

I can report that startups/shutdowns on my Mac Pro are noticeably slower in Leopard than they used to be in Tiger. This is especially true when I have things like flash drives and FW devices (my video camera) hooked up. The computer often seems stuck shutting down/staring up, and it gets unstuck shortly after I disconnect those things. Annoying, but what can you do.

8. macornomac macrumors 6502

I just installed leopard the other day. Yeah the startup time is slower. My tiger started around 20 secs. Leopard is at 33 seconds. It's not horrible but there is a difference. I can live with it.

9. macornomac macrumors 6502

I'll have to try step one tonight and see if there is anything in there. I doubt that I have anything that starts up. I think the fastest will be 33 seconds I have. How long does it take for everyone else????

10. gadgetsboyj macrumors newbie

Well...

I'm on a Hackintosh and noticed that after a while things DID start to get out of hand with not really startup but shutdown. I seem to get a spinning ring after a minute or 2 and THEN it shuts down. Now, I've also noticed that these problems never seem to occur when on a machine shipped with Leopard. This is most likely because more and more people are buying new machines that Apple is focusing less and less on backwards compatibility for the older machines. I have used the suggestion for the /Library/StartupItems and the /System/Library/StartupItems and found that my shutdown problem was caused by a USB Wi-Fi adapter program for an adapter I don't have and it also sped up the startup time too. For those who think that it could have nothing to do with fixing my shutdown problem but the reason is because the program took long to shut down and if its not started in the first place, it doesn't need to be shut down. That's what I've got.

11. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I'm going to be honest, as nice as Leopard is I still miss Tiger's snappiness. Leopard feels "heavier" than Tiger did. Although, I don't think I could go back to Tiger, there are features like QuickLook, Screen Sharing in iChat, and others that I use way too much to get rid of

EDIT: I did not know that this thread was from February - Whoops

12. Amdahl macrumors 65816

This is an old thread, but as it turns out, 10.5.2 did introduce a problem that caused boots to be slower. 10.5.3 fixed it, so it is not as bad as it was.

13. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I did realize a huge change, however I'm looking in my startupitems folder and I see HP IO and HP Trap Monitor, obviously this has to do with my printer but is it important or can I remove it?

14. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Depends on your printer and how you installed the drivers for your printer. I never installed drivers for my printer even though it came with some, as the drivers were already included in Mac OS X. So I don't have those background processes. You can try deleting them after making a backup to see if that makes a difference. It might disable some features though.