is leopard going to slow down my mbp?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greenbreadmmm, Aug 22, 2007.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

This might be a dumb question if so kindly ignore it. i got the new sr mbp. So when i get leopard i know its going to take advantage of 64 bit and multiple cores, so.... does that mean since its using more of my computer it will make other things slower, or is it just going to be more efficient and actually make things faster? I dont know what to expect. Thanks

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

No, no, no...

Since Leopard will be 64-Bit it will be able to squeeze more power out of every cycle, thus it will actually run faster. This doesn't mean it will slow things down, it will be faster. Plus, OSX is remarkably efficient, you can OSX on machines I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, although it seems that the requirements are (understandably) always moving up :)

3. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Everyone says Leopard is quite a bit faster, especially on Intel.

I have a Powerbook G4, so I'm just hoping it isn't slower for me (a much more likely issue)

4. mozmac macrumors 6502

mozmac

By using the extra processing power, it will not slow your computer down. You have processing power sitting dormant. That is exactly what will make it more efficient. Right now your processors are sitting there However, with the processors working more, the laptop will burn hotter, as if it isn't hot enough right now.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Supposed to be quite a bit faster on Intel Macs .. :)

I do hope so !!

6. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

I may be wrong, but I don't see how running 32-bit vs 64-bit will cause it to run hotter, I wasn't aware that different instruction sets run faster.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Plus on modern machines Apple (somehow) manages to make each version slightly faster than the previous. I would imagine that with Leopard, anyone with a G5 or Intel machine will realize these gains (more significantly than others).

8. The General macrumors 601

Wheras Microsoft tends to make stuff run slower. ;)

Vista. :rolleyes:

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Overall, it isn't that much faster. Does a better job of being uniformly responsive though, rather than having some things go really smooth, and others randomly beachball.

10. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

I sure hope it's faster. I am definitely noticing [some] lag on my less-than-one-year-old 17" MBP.

-=|Mgkwho

11. armani macrumors regular

How about the games I run now? When it will be 64 bit, will it be a problem?