Is Leopard Mouse Support Improved?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PhatBoyG, Sep 29, 2007.

1. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

Does anyone know if Leopard will have improved mouse support, particularly for mice like the Logitech ones that have multiple buttons? It would be nice to get the back button to work in Safari without resorted to a third-party utility to get it done.

I've heard of steermouse and usboverdrive, I was mostly wondering if anything was going to be delivered with the OSX 10.5 update.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

logitech mouse drivers have nothing to do with apple. apple just includes mighty mouse drivers in OS X for inplementing exposé, dashboard and right click etc. it is up to logitech to develop native OS X drivers that support safari

3. phytonix macrumors 6502

Leopard has better trackpad support for older PowerBooks.

Now I can two-finger tap as right click.

4. PhatBoyG thread starter macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

Yeah, that's something I don't want to install, Logitech's weak driver support is legendary. I won't even install their drivers in Windows, let alone OSX.

I guess I'll snag a copy of SteerMouse for now.

Thanks.

5. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Oh man that's f**king excellent news. :eek: That alone makes it worth the upgrade for me.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its probably too late now because of Leopard, but Sidetrack lets you do that with Tiger :)

7. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Not exactly, Psychofreak. Sidetrack does support right-clicking, but only with a single-finger, and also removes the two-fingered scrolling feature when it is installed (see faq here). It's a subtle difference, but I find I'm much more comfortable manipulating the trackpad with two fingers, than having to find a "sidetrack" to do scrolling in, etc.

iBook-owners, like me, have long been waiting for a two-fingered right-click, which seems to just be dependant on a slight software-change and is patent-protected (and enforced) by Apple.

8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

What alternate do you use in Windows? as I have to for the keyboard media controls. :/