Is Leopard slower to sleep then Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobsax, Apr 23, 2008.

1. bobsax macrumors member

bobsax

Hi
    I think this is the right place and I did search for this specific Q with no luck.

I don't really know how Leopard is supposed to work because I migrated my G4 Powerbook to the Leopard Macbook as soon as it came in the mail.
    Somebody over at Apple Discussions said that migration doesn't work entirely with migration from G4s.
    It was nice having my Powerbook and all it's contents show up on the new Macbook and it's been working pretty well as I slowly try to figure out what's new.
    The thing that's sort of a bummer is the Macbook is generally the same or slower then my Powerbook with many applications and the thing that's really starting to bug me is waiting around for 20 seconds after I close it to be able to pick it up.
    My powerbook would take around 6 seconds to go to sleep.

Does anybody know if this is normal for Leopard or is it because migration didn't work properly?
    I called AppleCare just for fun and the guy said yes it was a bug and Apple will fix it eventually but I got the feeling he wasn't the knowledgeable.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I just tested it.

~12 seconds for the light to start pulsing. only 2 seconds for the screen to turn off. The extra 10 or so seconds are the contents of the RAM getting written to the Hard drive for safe sleep, something your old G4 mac probably didn't have.

If the new Macbook is slower, try updating to universal binaries of the programs, and make sure you have at least the same amount of RAM in the machine.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I've noticed the same thing with my MBP, it takes something like 30 seconds before the hard drive sleeps (and the light starts pulsing).

4. MacManiac777 macrumors member

Both my Desktop iMac and MacBook Pro took around 30 seconds to sleep, I eventually got sick of it and did an erase and install on each of the machines and it now takes around 5 seconds for each of them to sleep.

I suggest that you search the subject on Apples own discussion forum at:
    http://discussions.apple.com/

If that search turns up nothing then an erase and install may be the way to go. Remember to back up all your data before doing so.

When moving all my data back onto the computer I avoided the Migration assistant and just moved all my documents over and reinstalled all my other software.