Is Leopard stable enough to buy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RZetlin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. RZetlin macrumors regular

RZetlin

I currently have Mac OS X Tiger and I am looking to upgrade to Leopard.

I have been waiting several months for Apple to work out all the bugs in Leopard.

Is Leopard stable enough to buy?

Is there an great improvement from Tiger to Leopard?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

for most people, yes, but there are ppl who aren't happy with it. You shouldn't worry that too much.

You do need more RAM, if you have less than 1G and you want it to be smooth on most tasks.

Great Improvement? I would say not great enough for me, but there are some quite handy tools like quicklook, or xcode 3 if you care.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Yes
    Yes

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Definitely would have upgraded about 6 months ago.

5. RZetlin thread starter macrumors regular

RZetlin

Not to worry about RAM.

My Macbook has 2 GB of RAM.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, IMHO.

QuickView and Spaces alone have been worth the upgrade.

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Spaces really is a great application. I have a 20" iMac and still use it all the time (typically Spaces would be most handy with smaller screens). I like to use a "space" for each application so they can run in full screen mode. :D

8. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I've been using Tiger on my MacBook since I bought it (January 2007). It has been stable and fast. I've been holding off on the Leopard upgrade for several months now, but I found Leopard 10.5.1, new and sealed, on Ebay for $99 and couldn't resist.

So last night I upgraded my MacBook from 10.4.11 to 10.5.1 and then patched to 10.5.2. The upgrade took about an hour and then I spent about another hour patching and rebooting and getting everything squared away.

I've spent most of the morning putting Leopard through its paces, but I have to say everything is working pretty darn well. I've encountered no issues or errors aside from one (Gimp isn't working) and my performance seems slightly better than what I had under Tiger. This surprised me a little because I did an upgrade from Tiger and not a fresh install.

I'll keep testing, poking and prodding Leopard to see if I can find any more issues, but so far Leopard has been solid from my point of view.

9. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I'm much more confident with it since 10.5.2..... as for RAM, I've got 4Gb in my Macbook Pro and its often completely full and all I have open is Transmission and Safari. The more the better!

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

It was stable enough to buy from day one. The improvements (Time Machine, QuickLook, etc...) in my mind were worth the upgrade.

11. change macrumors member

Go for it!

It's definitely stable. I'm running Microsoft Remote Desktop (ugh, don't ask), CS3 Design Premium, Final Cut Studio 2, Aperture 2.1, etc. Sure there are some kinks, but that's always true of anything. Apple is not forgetting about Leopard either, there have been two developer builds of 10.5.3 out recently.

12. iBunny macrumors 65816

Yes, Leopard is good to go now.

I went back on a machine using Tiger and was like ick.... lol

13. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I believe there are still some apps that won't work on Leopard. You might want to make sure your critical applications are supported.

14. bananaquit macrumors member

Yes. I would be happier without the time machine hang ups, but overall I am pleased with the switch.

15. siorai macrumors 6502

I'm a new switcher (early 08 Mac Pro) so I can't comment on Tiger vs Leopard, but Leopard has been rock solid for me from day one.