Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with that (why wouldn't I - my daily drivers are now Intels?) why is it that on this forum, Youtube playback is the one PPC endeavour that is derided with the "what's the point" rejoinder?
Replacing HDDs with SSDs, elaborate GPU flashing, CPU replacements, forcing incompatible OSes into old hardware - none of these efforts are ever met with a "what's the point when you can just use an Intel Mac?"

Probably 80% of the videos I watch aren’t on OS X of anything, rather an iOS device. It really comes down to convenience for me. iOS devices are perfectly suited for this ie: tutorials, howto vids etc, as they’re hand held.

Roccat+MUA works really well for me when in browser & on a Leopard ppc which is less often lately.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Probably 80% of the videos I watch aren’t on OS X of anything, rather an iOS device.

I'm not advocating the use of OSX (on PPC in particular) for Youtube - just saying it's every bit as ill advised as all the other pursuits I mentioned when convenience is your priority...but those pursuits are free from criticism.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I'm not advocating the use of OSX (on PPC in particular) for Youtube - just saying it's every bit as ill advised as all the other pursuits I mentioned when convenience is your priority...but those pursuits are free from criticism.

Yeah I get it. I’m not criticizing you for it. You do you. Plenty of folks on here Stretching the use of ppc well beyond their intended use (myself included).

Just pointing out how my streaming video use has evolved. Like if I’m under my car or deep in the engine compartment I don’t want to have to get up & consult a desktop or laptop. Handheld iOS devices are literally perfect for these applications.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you have a "special recipe" for Demeter? I've tried it with and without the Webkit update and, for Youtube at least, it has the same performance as Safari/Stainless/Roccat?
No, no particular tweaks or anything. I don't believe you really can tweak it.

Reactions: timidpimpin

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
Whilst I wholeheartedly agree with that (why wouldn't I - my daily drivers are now Intels?) why is it that on this forum, Youtube playback is the one PPC endeavour that is derided with the "what's the point" rejoinder?
Replacing HDDs with SSDs, elaborate GPU flashing, CPU replacements, forcing incompatible OSes into old hardware - none of these efforts are ever met with a "what's the point when you can just use an Intel Mac?"

It's that "YouTube" is the common refrain from many new to the older Apple scene. Not just here, I've seen it on Reddit and other social-y type places. It's seen as a basic human right after Twitter. :D

I see benefit in SSDs. I'm writing this on a TiBook 1GHz a friend found in a cupboard when clearing out last week and I'm rather enjoying using it. The DLSD with an SSD runs rings around it far in excess of the extra CPU speed, and that's down the to the old Fujitsu spinner crunching away under my wrists. SSDs make everything more responsive and they're cheap. CPU/GPU & OS shenanigans I'm ambivalent about. I prefer them as Apple intended running period software.

Reactions: 1042686

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

I can understand the challenge aspect of it, and in that vein I admire the folks who continue to get it to work.

In fact, I'll jump on a solution every once in a while when it's posted(I'm generally not smart enough to figure them out on my own) but get frustrated when I'll set something up, have it working for a few weeks, and then it dies.

So, I guess, for me, Youtube is something I wrote off a long time ago. The last time I tried, I could still more or less power through videos using TFF on a Quad without any special measures, but that's about where I stop. I haven't taught O-chem or done any writing in a few semesters that required the use of some of the software installed on my main Quad(I do have a couple of them, but the one gathering dust in the corner of my office is my primary one). I don't pay the power bills at work, but at the same time I like a cool office and these days with a Sun Ultra 5 and SGI Octane running all the time(I know, priorities) not to mention an MP 1,1, I'm at about the limit of what our flaky HVAC can handle.

So, I guess I should say I ADMIRE folks getting Youtube to work, it's just that for me getting the most out of software these computers were designed to run is both a more fruitful and enjoyable pursuit.

Incidentally, Nikon Scan is misbehaving badly enough on my MP 5,1 that the dual 2.7 or maybe even a Quad is about to come back in to service. I'm not sure how multi-threaded Nikon Scan is-I need to experiment/research that to determine if the big scans from the 8000 will be faster on the dual 2.7 or the Quad.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
Why do people climb mountains?

"Because it is there."

Why do people want to run YouTube and other challenging applications or websites on a PPC Mac (presumably either a fast G4 or a G5)? For the challenge of it. Many of us have much faster machines. I have a few, both my "daily driver" Mac (Late 2012 Mini) and my PC build (a fairly strong gaming build from two years ago). If my only concern were watching YouTube and other resource-hoggy tasks as fast and pain-free as possible, I'd use those. But there is a sense of challenge when someone says "you can't do that". Or even "you shouldn't want to do that". And sometimes -- sometimes -- the problem is not that the architecture can't do it, but that many things have never been optimized for it so what might otherwise be marginally usable seems futile.

This is where we are fortunate to have many in the hobbyist community who step up and meet challenges, because otherwise "you can't do that" would just prevail and these old machines would be a lot more useless than they actually are.

All that said, if I am going to be watching a lot of video, no, I won't do it on a PPC Mac. But it's fun to try to make it as up to the task as possible.

MagicBoy

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2006
Manchester, UK
So do I but a DLSD with SSD will never be remotely nearly as fast as a first generation MBP, so the same logic that says don't bother with Youtube on PPC, could say, don't bother with a SSD in a PPC.

Been there. Bought one new in April 2006, sold it in 2008, bought it back in 2009, sold it again in to fund a uMB in 2009.

On that basis might as well chuck anything that isn't this rMBP away. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.