Is Leopard WebKit development dead?

xdanieldzd

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Looking through the LWK issue tracker, there's a comment by its author from around 2 months ago, indicating that he's working on a 604 series of builds (compared to the recent 603.x.x). So at the very least, it sounds like the project's still an ongoing concern for him and hasn't been abandoned just yet.

Reactions: AphoticD

G5-PowerLifter

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2017
tenfourfox is almost useless for me, slow as hell, even on a dual 2 ghz G5 and youtube is barely watchable at 360p on that very system. webkit on the other hand lets me play back 720p videos with almost no issues and 360p on a powerbook g4. I really hope webkit isnt dead, otherwise I will consider getting rid of most of my PPC Macs

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
tenfourfox is almost useless for me, slow as hell, even on a dual 2 ghz G5 and youtube is barely watchable at 360p on that very system. webkit on the other hand lets me play back 720p videos with almost no issues and 360p on a powerbook g4. I really hope webkit isnt dead, otherwise I will consider getting rid of most of my PPC Macs
Have you looked through here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-tenfourfox-about-config-tweaks-and-my-addons.1838393/

That aside, T4Fx is not the browser to be using for YT videos, or any videos at all really. As much of a fan as I am of T4Fx, this is one area it generally falls down in my experience. It's one of the reasons Kaiser released the QTE addon.

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Ceased development doesn't present a barrier to use - TenFourKit for Tiger was last updated 5 years ago but still handles Youtube fine.
The reaction is always like this though. People perceive an app without updates as a dead app. 9/10 times when development ceases or the system requirements get bumped up for a new release, the software you have installed and have been using will still function perfectly fine.

Unfortunately for the ecosystem of a web browser, the content keeps demanding more and more, despite appearing much the same for the end user.

I’ve found TenFourKit fall over in many areas that Leopard WebKit succeeds. But maybe this is platform specific, like out of date certificates.

Can anyone confirm if running the LWK certificate update script has any effect on TenFourKit in Tiger?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 68040
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can anyone confirm if running the LWK certificate update script has any effect on TenFourKit in Tiger?
I'll try this later on.
No, I don't recommend using a vastly outdated browser but just wanted to point out they can still be useful. In an ideal world, you'd have one browser and stick with it but in PPC land, I find having a clutch of browsers address different needs and despite being unsupported still have their uses.

mmphosis

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2017
I just downloaded leopard-webkit and Roccat. I dropped Roccat onto the "Relink against Leopard Webkit" and it works! "Roccat LepWK" is cool. I will still use TenFourFox7450, but I like the alternative(s).

Reactions: AphoticD

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Yes! It does seem to install just fine and work. It may actually render pages a little better too. Here is what TenFourKit looks like to Browser Spy. Running it now my my 867MHz TiBook.

Edit:
Never mind on that page rendering. Some are great, others like Yahoo and eBay are terrible now.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: z970mp and AphoticD

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
The reaction is always like this though. People perceive an app without updates as a dead app. 9/10 times when development ceases or the system requirements get bumped up for a new release, the software you have installed and have been using will still function perfectly fine.

Unfortunately for the ecosystem of a web browser, the content keeps demanding more and more, despite appearing much the same for the end user.
That's part of it. Security updates are more of a thing, though. Heck, I can still use Camino on Tiger for a lot of things and it's fast, but maintenance was dropped about five years ago and who knows how many known security holes are in there now?

internetzel

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2015

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Leopard WebKit isn't dead yet - I've been constantly working on it; it just took quite some time to make it work as well as the last 603 release.
So here is a link to the fresh 604 release:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/files/604/Leopard/PowerPC/WebKit-604.4.5-Leopard-PowerPC.dmg/download
Please report issues to the sourceforge project, preferrably as a "ticket"!
Once there aren't any major issues left I'll make the 604 release the advertised one.
You're a hero!

Reactions: G4fanboy

AphoticD

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2017
Australia
Leopard WebKit isn't dead yet - I've been constantly working on it; it just took quite some time to make it work as well as the last 603 release.
So here is a link to the fresh 604 release:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/leopard-webkit/files/604/Leopard/PowerPC/WebKit-604.4.5-Leopard-PowerPC.dmg/download
Please report issues to the sourceforge project, preferrably as a "ticket"!
Once there aren't any major issues left I'll make the 604 release the advertised one.
Legend! v604.4.5 downloaded, installed and firing on all cylinders.

Thank you.