Is Leopard worth waiting for?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RZetlin, Jul 9, 2007.

  1. RZetlin macrumors regular


    Jul 9, 2007
    I am looking to purchase a notebook soon and I am sitting on the fence as to whether or not to go with Mac or Windows notebook.

    I have a iBook G4 that I love a lot, but it used by the family.

    I know that Leopard is coming in October, but I don't know if I can wait that long since I need a my own notebook for my work needs.

    For those who used Leopard, it is worth waiting for?

    Is there that much of an improvement over Tiger?

    I am also concern that if I buy a Mac notebook now Steve Jobs will whip out Macbooks in October with new features. (E.g. Touchscreen)
  2. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

    Jun 4, 2005
    I've used the latest beta, and it's not ground breaking or revolutionary, if you really can't wait, go for it, and use the MR buyers guide
  3. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    The Macbooks were recently updated so the specs probably won't be updated again in October. However, it has been suggested that new (smaller) Macbook Pros will come, and that there may be touchscreen notebooks (I don't think this will happen)...

    Leopard looks awesome to me, but you could always buy a MB now and get Leopard later. If there is a new iLife (probably not included with Leopard), then you'll either have to pay for that or be stuck with old software...
  4. BlankStar macrumors 6502a


    Aug 13, 2004
    Just ask a coupon to get Leopard for free when it's released. Did it myself when I ordered my 2.4Ghz MBP couple of weeks ago and know at least 10 people who did the same...
  5. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    A better question is this:

    Is $129 worth waiting 3 months for?

    ***Coupons??? Is this some kind of haggling in the Apple store?
  6. Gymnut macrumors 68000


    Apr 18, 2003
    Tiger (10.4) is more than a capable operating system. If you're in need of a computer at this moment then by all means purchase one. Not everyone needs to upgrade to Leopard the very day it comes out.
  7. headhammer macrumors regular

    May 15, 2007
    it's not worth the wait. as erasmus has already said, is it worth the money to hold off?
    also consider that you'll be without a computer for a few months as well.

    to be honest, i don't think OS X will ever use multi-touch interfaces. i could be wrong, but it represents such a huge paradigm shift in the way that we use computers, i think multi-touch will introduce OS XI or 11 or whatever they decide to call it.
  8. 7031 macrumors 6502


    Apr 6, 2007
    I don't think Leopard is worth waiting for. I personally don't want to upgrade, and I think that the new interface is just ugly, and there really isn't much reason why I would want it. Tiger is fine for me.

    I personally think that using multi touch for a desktop PC makes no sense. I think it would be a great idea for a tablet, but otherwise, I simply don't see why I would want that.
  9. seahawk09 macrumors regular

    Jul 2, 2007
    Hey all,

    I think we should all just wait til Leopard comes out in all it's glory I think it's well worth it the wait but thats just my opinion:D happy to wait for full version.
  10. MidiMonk macrumors regular

    Jun 20, 2007
    Just remember Leopard will likely be buggy at first, better to have what works now then upgrade.Look what happened with Vista and even Dell brought back XP.
  11. Gandhi macrumors regular

    Jun 27, 2007
    How did you do that? Did you get the coupon directly from Apple? Didi you buy from regular, edu or ADC store?
  12. amvickers macrumors newbie

    Jul 11, 2007
    My decision just made

    So, did you have to order it from the store, or could you do it from the website. Thats amazing that they'd do that.
  13. scpt macrumors newbie

    Jul 11, 2007

    How do you do that? I haven't seen any offers or coupons being advertised.
  14. Vidd macrumors 6502a


    Mar 7, 2006
    I've heard of a coupon that ships that you can use if it's within 30 days but I'd assume that it'd operate a little differently since we already know that it's October.

    The laptop line was just recently updated so it's a matter of money i.e. if you'd rather have the use of the laptop now but have to pay to upgrade it later.
    Besides, if you're worried about updates, October is 3 months away which would bring you closer to another revision; possibly close enough to annoy you for not waiting even longer which is an easy game to get into.
  15. Erasmus macrumors 68030


    Jun 22, 2006
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    I imagine that if you went to an Apple Computer reseller and bargained for a Leopard coupon, they would probably give it to you (or you go and buy from someone else). There is no way that you would get a coupon from any online store.

    You can only bargain face to face. It's the only way you have power, and you will always either be able to get a discount of cost price, or get some things thrown in for free, such as Leopard.

    They are still making a profit.
  16. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a


    Jun 30, 2007
    Orange County, California
    Personally, I would wait for leopard (and I am :D) From the videos, I think it's worth it (depending on what you are going to be doing of course)
  17. korndog2003 macrumors regular


    May 31, 2007
    Keyser, WV, USA
    Its only 129 dollars... Get the macbook now and buy leopard later.
  18. Gandhi macrumors regular

    Jun 27, 2007
    Is $129 worth it for you to go without a computer? That's an question only you can answer. While OS X Tiger is 2+ years old, it is still a better OS than Vista, IMO. So it's not like you are getting a crappy OS by buying right now.
  19. KristieMac macrumors 6502a


    Jun 3, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    It killed me to wait for the MBP update and THAT was worth it. Buy it now. You can upgrade later. These computers are beautiful!
  20. noway macrumors regular


    Jun 11, 2007
    I second that. Im in the same situation.
    Leopard costs something like 99$ with education discount too... not worth the wait. you'll understand when you get your mac...
  21. amvickers macrumors newbie

    Jul 11, 2007
    Uh Oh

    Yeah I called the macstore a couple hours ago, and they denied its existence. Maybe AppleCare? To whoever has actually gotten this deal, I'd love to know how you did it because it determines whether i buy a MBP now or in October.
  22. awalkingenigma macrumors newbie

    Jul 13, 2007
    Share your secrets! the forum is in an uproar. Correction I am in an uproar
  23. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

    Jul 8, 2007
    Can anyone share how to get one of these coupons? The Leopard release is the only thing holding me back from buying a MBP right now.
  24. Zwhaler macrumors 604


    Jun 10, 2006
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/ (GUI) MMP/2.0)

    of course leopard will be nice, but if you need a computer now, just buy it now. There will always be something better coming up, so you might as well buy when you need to. The current mbps are awesome, by the way.

Share This Page