Is LimeWire safe for a MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Boyce, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Boyce macrumors newbie

Is limewire safe for a mbp?
    Anyhelp would be great.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're referring to safe from viruses, yes.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Probably from viruses (I presume your running OS X). But Music piracy is baaad. Go buy a CD. :mad:

4. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

it is safe...i love limewire i use it all the time...assuming you have OS 10 & above....why buy cd's when its free:D

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Um... so that the poor artist who has slaved over making the music for a living get's a decent pay cut... prehaps??

Don't take me to heart, I'm just real sensitive over music piracy.

Unless it's anything produced by Simon Cowell, just buy it. Better quality and if you get a CD, you get the brilliance of the CD cover, case, the booklet inside and everything. Just so much better. I feel real bad when I pirate music, and I'd hate for anyone to rip off any of my music I've produced, written and/or performed.

6. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

Do you think that the artist worries about ME making a decent living....i don't think so buddy....why should i do the same

7. No ice please macrumors 6502

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

And what would be your way of earning a crust?

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

But you are not producing something that they may want directly. They are. Why should you have something and not them? What right do you have to their property?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the main question has been answered; do be aware that, if you download a file off of Limewire (or any other part of the internet) that's infected with a Windows virus, and later transfer that file to a Windows environment (including Parallels or Bootcamp on a Mac), the file may well continue to be dangerous to the Windows environment.

Please resist the urge to turn every thread into a flame war... also, please attempt to be reasonably civil.

11. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Like previously said, safe from viruses, yes. But don't use it for immoral reasons ;-) Piracy is still illegal

12. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

You demean both artists and slaves.

13. tmofee macrumors regular

i live by myself, paying off a house, etc. unfortunately i dont have as much cash as i used to play with. i have a cupboard full of CDs and singles (a few records) to prove this. these days I try to buy as many CDs as I can. but have to admit it's not 100%. so usually my music spending budget leans towards the more indie artists struggling/doing it by themselves rather than the latest hit i hear on the radio. does this make it any better? of course not. but I like to know that the few bucks a week i DO have is going to the artists more than the others..

14. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I'm in the same boat. Not buying a whole lot of music lately, but plan to as soon as my finances pick up. I have probably spent $2000-$3000 on cds in my life, though.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Because that's stealing.

why not make the same argument with cars? Why buy a car when you can hot-wire one.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donnie, Donnie, Donnie. I was all ready to write a nice diatribe but then I looked at your MySpace page. Nuff said.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I LOL'ed ... really.

18. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

what's wrong with my myspace page ?...i like it !....haters !

19. TheHumphries macrumors member

I was about to start "typing with purpose" on this subject then I saw the link..

That is the sweetest cowboy hat I have ever seen. LOL. nuff said.

20. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

21. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

thank you for the compliment,if you guys want i can give you my autograph at no charge:p i love my FANS.

i know,i hate those fakes on limewire..is bittorrent easy to use?

22. tmofee macrumors regular

bittorrent is very easy, but its a lot harder to find individual files... normally people will seed an entire album or an artists entire collection. it's good in that way when you're really getting into a band, but for the latest single you heard on the radio, its often easier to log onto itunes and spending the 99 cents..

23. rev316 macrumors regular

Limewire is a piece of junk. It's protocol, Gnutella, is open and there are far better clients that do the same thing.

24. kingtj macrumors 68020

Limewire vs. other clients

Yeah, Limewire has the advantage of popularity, I guess ... People have heard of it, used it before, know the interface well, etc.

A lot of people on the Windows side of the computer "fence", though, distrust Limewire because it just seems suspicious how practically every PC with it installed also has spyware issues.

It may not have anything directly to do with Limewire putting spyware on the PC, but perhaps it opens up security holes allowing junk to get in via a "back door"? I don't really know, but I find it odd seeing so many Windows computers where the user seemed to only be interested in collecting MP3 music with Limewire, yet they got all infected and "gummed up" in a matter of only days or weeks of use. (MP3 music isn't a real likely source of virus or spyware infection, since the files aren't programs that actually get RUN on the machine.)

I know some of them switched to a similar open-source freeware product called FrostWire (which has an OS X version too), and said they had no more spyware issues with that one.