Is Linux possible on a partitioned drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shu15, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Shu15 macrumors regular

I was just wondering if it was possible to install Linux on a partitioned part of my internal drive just to test it. I've never used Linux, so I wouldn't know. If it's possible, can someone help me out with it? Thanks!

2. miiles macrumors regular

I haven't tried this but its what google found me.

Good luck.

3. Steve-M macrumors regular

There is a product named VirtualBox that would allow you to install your linux distro to a virtual hard drive. This way you could test out linux, with out partitioning your hard drive.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Don't bother partitioning if you are just installing it for testing purposes. Download Sun's VirtualBox along with the Linux distribution of your choosing.

6. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Virtual box is best bet. I have completely de-winowized my house now. Either Leopard or Ubuntu. I am really loving linux. IF you are switching from Windows I say to just dive right in!

7. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Id love a triple partition! I used to have Gentoo linux on my old IBM but packed it in because of the incompatibility with lots of my gadgets (mp3 players and such). That was about 6 years ago now though, and I hear WINE is supposed to be good, wouldn't mind trying that out on the Mac but only as a third partition, I'm not a fan of emulators.. don't have a reason, maybe just not given them enough of a chance..

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Wine works very well for most windows programs. You should definitely give it a go.

9. jovanboi macrumors member

Co-sign on VirtualBox. I have been using it on my macbook with Ubuntu, I'm actually typing this in Ubuntu right now. It has been working seamlessly for the past few weeks.

10. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

What's the upside of running Linux on hardware that run OS X? It's not like Linux can do anything that OS X can't do just as well natively.

11. RCGMac macrumors regular

For me it is just curiousity. :D I like to play with tech things. I have monkeyed around with Ubuntu on my Macbook before. It is more of a hobby, I like to tweek things. Linux gives me the power to do it. With many Linux distros coming with LiveCD capability, it is an easy way to play with Linux to see if everything works with the distro, i.e., Ubuntu used to have an issue with some wireless cards, it could be fixed with a pretty simple command, but it was good to know that it didn't work before I installed Ubuntu.

Running VirtualBox is a great solution if you don't want to go through the process of partitioning your drive.

I like using rEFIt, because I can triple boot Windows, Linux and Mac on my MacBook.