Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coqui52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Forgive my ignorance people, but I just installed on my Imac, Little Snitch, but really I don't trust it 100% because I am not sure if it just made my Mac vulnerable to Hackers or what not.

Anybody knows if its safe or I should worry?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
So wait, you bought Little Snitch and installed it, but don't know what it does?

LS monitors outgoing traffic from your computer onto the network, so that you can identify programs that are trying to access the network.

In short, it's not dangerous, quite the opposite.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Little Snitch is a firewall, it helps to protect your mac from outgoing connections by prompting you if you want to allow or block each outgoing connection. (it is not just a monitoring app as the last post suggests)

It's a must have app for mac people.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Note he said he installed, but he didn't say he bought it.

If you pirate it, there is a chance it could have trojans in it.

If you bought it, you are safe.

armoguy94

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Little Snitch is a security application. It won't harm your computer if you purchase it. There are not any known trojans for pirated versions of Little Snitch, however I could see how some companies would do that, as Little Snitch is a common app for piraters

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Little Snitch is a security application. It won't harm your computer if you purchase it. There are not any known trojans for pirated versions of Little Snitch, however I could see how some companies would do that, as Little Snitch is a common app for piraters

Companies don't do that at all. They'll be in far bigger trouble than the priates in this place. It's the hackers who uploads the trojan-infected pirated copies.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
Companies don't do that at all. They'll be in far bigger trouble than the priates in this place. It's the hackers who uploads the trojan-infected pirated copies.

This is going off topic. But, you don't think that companies flood the torrent sites with bad software to deter pirating?

I bet some do, and I bet all movie companies do likewise.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I didn't mean a trojan in regards to the movie companies. But I think they spread bad copies of stuff that won't play. Or supposedly require "additional software."

How is that even possible? Comments on the torrent pages from downloaders show the file's true intent, and it really isn't possible for a movie file to require "additional software". You can't just make up a format out of the blue.

smokestack

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
it's a genius program once you get past the initial setup (and being asked about every single connection).
no. it will not make you more vulnerable.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
How is that even possible? Comments on the torrent pages from downloaders show the file's true intent, and it really isn't possible for a movie file to require "additional software". You can't just make up a format out of the blue.

Think he means additional software to play it... like a dodgy codec you have to download. I've seen movies on torrents that are like that.

Thing is, companies will put out fakes to try and put people off, but it'll never work properly. Uploaders of torrents have reputations, and if their username is the upload, then you can trust it is what it is. Be it a movie or software.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This is going off topic. But, you don't think that companies flood the torrent sites with bad software to deter pirating?

I bet some do, and I bet all movie companies do likewise.

It won't do anything. It'll be filtered out pretty fast. Most torrent sites comes with people comments that'll inform you if there is any malware installed or if it works or not and a lot of time it'll get deleted off torrent sites and many people are using private trackers that are usually pretty damn effective and even harder to track for those companies.

Piracy can't be deterred, it'll always be there.

(plus we do have a database of IP addresses used by companies in order to ban them from seeding to us, most torrent clients have them now)

That's beside the point, a company is not allowed to modify its app to do damage to people's machines as part of the anti-piracy method. They can delete the app or block their own app to do something but not anything else.

thespazz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Nice.

Don't torrent bro, you're the one the RIAA is targeting.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I personally just use the built-in Firewall with OS X.

It allows me to choose what programs access the internet, so it works fine and dandy for me. Plus it's free :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I personally just use the built-in Firewall with OS X.

It allows me to choose what programs access the internet, so it works fine and dandy for me. Plus it's free :)

The firewall in Security Tab in Systems Pref or the firewall in the command line?
Cuz the firewall in security tab only works on incoming connections, you still need to block the outgoing connections somehow.

Reactions: orbital~debris

glasserp

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Nice.

Don't torrent bro, you're the one the RIAA is targeting.

The RIAA doesn't go after people who pirate software. They mainly go after people who haven't discovered BT and still use Limewire for music.

Back to the topic. LittleSnitch is a great piece of software that lets you keep an eye on things. Highly recommend it.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
The built in firewall that comes with OS X (in system preferences) is horrible. IPFW, the built in UNIX firewall, is the best you can get, but Apple sidables it by default.

Little Snitch is an outgoing firewall, and is a very very good app to have. It is very useful at stopping trojans from sending out your data, stopping apps from "phoning home", and your application serial number and registration from being sent out, should you wish to prevent it.

coqui52

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
People Thanks a lot!

So I guess I am in the clear. Thanks for all the usefull information, I got more out of the question than I would have expected.

Again thanks!

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
United States
The built in firewall that comes with OS X (in system preferences) is horrible. IPFW, the built in UNIX firewall, is the best you can get, but Apple sidables it by default.

Little Snitch is an outgoing firewall, and is a very very good app to have. It is very useful at stopping trojans from sending out your data, stopping apps from "phoning home", and your application serial number and registration from being sent out, should you wish to prevent it.

Hmm...looks like I may have to invest in Little Snitch

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Little snitch is the mac's antivirus, in an indirect way. It disallows the CHANCE for a host to connect to you without your permission or for programs to dial out. In the coming year this will likely be a much more useful program as the virus platform for the Mac has at least started to show up; even if it is not directly executable yet, it can be with scripting and automation and most likely will be by the end of the year if someone decides it is beneficial to them to produce such a "virus" if you will. The only thing it has to get around is the Mac's input password to access program files and I'm sure anything is possible.

Be aware that certain programs still dial out around little snitch such as Adobe products. Adobe products have to have the host list edited to keep them from calling home as they walk right around little snitch through the use of specialized non monitored ports.

I told you that to tell you this.... Little Snitch may not always save you and should be considered at best a good preventative. Such as the example I gave above, some programs can still get out with LS installed. Either custom editing of the hosts in your apps, or setting up extreme rules lists in LS are needed to completely deny outgoing, which can be quite Vista like with all those nanny rules in place causing LS to constantly ask permission.

So yes it is 99% of the time an exceptional program, but there are SOME holes that products like Adobe take advantage of when calling home. A quick hosts edit solves that if you don't want any background traffic from your apps.

Reactions: orbital~debris

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
Think he means additional software to play it... like a dodgy codec you have to download. I've seen movies on torrents that are like that.

Thing is, companies will put out fakes to try and put people off, but it'll never work properly. Uploaders of torrents have reputations, and if their username is the upload, then you can trust it is what it is. Be it a movie or software.

That is what I meant.

It won't do anything. It'll be filtered out pretty fast. Most torrent sites comes with people comments that'll inform you if there is any malware installed or if it works or not and a lot of time it'll get deleted off torrent sites and many people are using private trackers that are usually pretty damn effective and even harder to track for those companies.

Piracy can't be deterred, it'll always be there.

(plus we do have a database of IP addresses used by companies in order to ban them from seeding to us, most torrent clients have them now)

I know comments point out fakes. That is how I know there are tons of fakes out there. The fact that you have a database of company IPs means they do post fakes. That was all I was trying to say and I suspect that goes on.

...That's beside the point, a company is not allowed to modify its app to do damage to people's machines as part of the anti-piracy method. They can delete the app or block their own app to do something but not anything else.

That makes sense that they wouldn't be allowed to spread bad software no one is. But it happens. Just like people are allowed to download software they didn't pay for.
I'm not accusing software companies, I'm just pointing out that they have a motive.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
=It disallows the CHANCE for a host to connect to you without your permission or for programs to dial out.

Little Snitch only stops outgoing connections.

Be aware that certain programs still dial out around little snitch such as Adobe products. Adobe products have to have the host list edited to keep them from calling home as they walk right around little snitch through the use of specialized non monitored ports.

I haven't seen this, I've got plenty of Adobe apps installed, and Little Snitch has blocked them fine. My hosts list is also fine. Do you have a link to an example of this happening?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.