Is Logic Going Away???

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by alw4416, Jan 23, 2009.

1. alw4416 macrumors member

Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what the future looks like for Logic? I ask merely because it seems as though Apple could care less about it. We have been setting on version 8.02 for how long now? I have also heard rumors that Apple truly doesn't care about it even as much as they do Garageband. I am a long time Logic guy and would hate to see Apple simply abandon it.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Agreed, Apple still hasn't addressed a lot of the issues in Logic. I've found it to still have quite a few annoying little bugs (the same goes for Leopard actually).

For example, load up an instrument from one of the Jam Packs in the browser on the right-hand side and it works fine. Try and change it to a different instrument afterwards and it simply throws up a 'file not found' error. :confused:

Come on Apple, keep professionals happy. Are you mainly interested in people who make money out of their Apple products or people who buy them because they look nice and have a built in webcam?

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

I think they may be trying to step the program down into the prosumer zone. By bundling it with the other programs and dropping the price so much, they are convincing people that Logic 8 by itself is worth less than $500 US, which does not exactly make it an attractive acquisition target for another company.

I hope they stay focused on it. If they want to keep selling us $4000 Mac Pros, they need to keep some pro apps around and competitive, regardless of whether they are the focus or not.

Even if the pro stuff is not profitable, it is sort of required to sex up the rest of the line.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

You sure it's installed properly? I change instruments all the time and have never run into this.

And Logic had a major update in 2007 so I really don't understand the point behind this thread.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

It's not just Logic. Everyone is complaining, photographers, film editors and so on. THey all thing releases should come out every four months. No more like every 18 to 24. THat is about as quick as you want to go other wise yo spend all your time in final test and release. What pros REALY need is a stable environment. Believe me you do NOT want a new realize every six months

6. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

That's not the issue. It's about companies providing point releases to continue to address issues found in there own testing, as well as user reports. There's been two updates in what, 2 years? Not really assuring.

7. CalumC macrumors regular

What exactly are these bugs you're talking about. I've not been using logic pro for long but i've not encountered any issues yet apart from in setup, and that was my fault for not reading the manual. Admittedly it would be nice to hear a bit more from Apple as to the future of logic, but tbh, pro tools is only just catching up to it in terms of virtual instruments and midi support. My lecturers are of the opinion that the market in DAWs is slowly narrowing, give it 2 updates and Logic and Pro Tools will be virtually identical as they strive towards the mix of audio tracking and midi/virtual instruments.

What would you actually want to see from a future version of logic?

8. jono_3 macrumors regular

maybe something more along the lines of professional tools?

:eek:

9. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Here is what I see from my point of view.

Logic is one of Apple's least popular apps, and it appeals to a very small audience. Therefore Apple hasn't/isn't paying as much attention to it as they would give to an application like Aperture.

I have heard a lot recently that the application "Pro Tools" is becoming the application of choice for musicians now-a-days.

I personally use and am very satisfied with GarageBand, but I think Logic looks very interesting.

But it is not at the top of my list of things "I need to upgrade and have".

10. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I hope Logic isn't going away. I would much rather keep and use Logic than Pro Tools, which I find just godawful to use. Unfortunately, my college is all Pro Tools based, so it doesn't make any difference what I like.

11. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Logic and protools are different beasts doing the the same job.

Logic is a composition platform that also records and mixes, Protools is a recording and mixing platform that also allows composition.

Protools is seen as industry standard, but is being rapidly replaced in small studios by Logic simply because a Logic rig is cheaper and more powerful.

In contrast to Ziggy I hate Logic and work in protools all the time. Horses for courses.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm really starting to dig the irony of these products' names.

1. Logic to me is anything but logical

2. i use ProTools LE, which is the non-professional version

3. i used Digital Performer to record a live show, and it choked up twice, so i guess it's Digital Non-Performer

4. i get the impression that Live is used more in the studio than on stage

13. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Logic isn't going anywhere. I imagine they're waiting until Snow Leopard comes out, and any bug fixes/performance improvements will be built with Snow Leopard in mind.

14. yagru macrumors member

I dont think so. Logic is one of the most popular apps in the music industry... pro tools.. logic.. ableton

15. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

logic and pro tools are both great pieces of software. the problem with pro tools, for a lot of hobbyists/prosumers, is that you have to spend at least $1000+ to get a decent sounding interface capable of running pro tools. their consumer level products (i'm looking at you, mbox) are crap, imo. that's why i'm running logic with a presonus firestudio project. although i would happily switch to pro tools if digidesign would open it up to run on any hardware.

16. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

As a user of both Logic and Pro Tools (as Wintermute so perfectly put it, Logic as a composition tool and Pro Tools as a recording tool) I love Logic, but I hate all the bugs.

Everyone I know who runs Logic professionally gets driven mad by the bugs - but everyone seems to get different bugs*. I'm no expert but this suggests a rather creaking codebase to me...

*for anyone interested, my personal favourite bugs are the one that randomly deletes the next region to the right if I trim a region, and the one that randomly won't let me solo/mute a track that is frozen. Oh, and the one that randomly brings up a "this track is frozen" dialog when I try to edit a non-frozen track, and makes me dismiss the dialog 20 times every time I use the cut tool. And the one that plays back whatever audio is left in the buffer next time you play the track (this one isn't random - it's well known and old. And since there are several ways of manually forcing it to flush the buffers, I don't understand why they can't make it happen automatically).

EDIT - turns out the can't-solo-when-frozen bug isn't so random. I'm working on a different rig from usual today and this one does it too. This bug is like an old friend - I haven't seen it for a couple of months.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think think he meant in the grand scheme of all that is Apple Logic isn't a major player.

Lethal

18. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

It has sadly always been this way. :/

2002: Logic 6
    2004: Logic 7 (patches/updates rare the entire time....)
    2007: Logic 8 (resume same ....)

The Logic dev team is in Germany and I'm not sure if there is a communication problem with Apple in Calif and Logic folks in Germany, or what.

Quad G5 support for Logic 7 only just came in late 2006 after much griping on apple discussions.

Huge bugs remain in Logic 7 that were never addresses and simply ignored, especially with things like the score. The fact that there is no way to report bugs or issues and get feedback from the developers is quite frustrating. Any posts bringing up issues on discussions.apple.com simply get deleted.... Nice, eh?

I too, think that Apple sees more money in rather stupid things like 'Magic Garageband' rather than pro audio, sadly enough.

19. sagnier macrumors regular

different languages.

20. myca macrumors 6502

I had to LOL at that.

I do like Logic though for music/composition, and Pro Tools for post and editing, and I have to use Sound Forge as a wave editor as Soundtrack Pro is just too dodgy.

I do find myself cursing at both Pro Tools and Logic, normally after using Pro Tools at work I curse Logic for behaving different and visa versa, somewhere between both applications (with some sound forge goodness) there is my perfect DAW.

I too would love more regular (say every 3 to 4 months) point releases to fix common known bugs, but I'd love some TLC to be put into Soundtrack Pro, as the mac still doesn't have a good wave editor at least not in the way I use Sound Forge as a wave editor.