Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HootOwl

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
I have a new iMac M3 (8cCPU/10cGPU/16gbRAM) running FCPX and it performs flawlessly. Most of my videos are 1080p and the iMac runs through them like a hot knife through butter. Interestingly...the iMac renders video through Uniconverter TWICE as fast as my Mac Studio M1 Max.

I bought the iMac as a backup. I'm an online trainer and needed something I could fall back on if the Mac Studio ever takes a day off.

signuphere

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
I see. The reason I asked is because I made a dumb mistake and bought mine w/ 256 SSD (specs in sig), which grinds my gears even though I'm just a basic user and don't do video editing.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
M3 should breeze through that :) probably worth going to 16gb ram to ensure things stay smooth - could even go to 24gb if you want to futureproof and can afford it

Reactions: dandeco

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
M3 should breeze through that :) probably worth going to 16gb ram to ensure things stay smooth - could even go to 24gb if you want to futureproof and can afford it
Exactly; this is why when I ordered my M1 MacBook Air three years ago, I configured it with 16 GB of RAM, since I figured I'd do quite a bit of video editing on it (and among seeing how quickly it renders video projects, it's become my main computer for editing video with!)

SkweeBop

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2024
I moved up to an M1 mini (16Gb ram) in 2021 from an intel machine. I couldn't believe how quickly video editing was going. It's still fast (Final Cut Pro and the occasional iMovie for quick and dirty editing). I can only imagine an M3 would be screaming.

Reactions: dandeco
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.