is mac better than pc ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacTurd, Jun 11, 2009.

1. MacTurd macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,I'm new to the site and new to macs (I've only been using it for 2 1/2 years)
    very frustrated....
    My question is : Why is a Mac better than a PC ? what am I missing here ? Should I give up ?
    (I have a 20" imac I bought new in Dec '06.duo-core etc etc.)

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yes.

3. MacTurd thread starter macrumors newbie

4. natatos macrumors regular

Its all really up to you. For me I think the software is better, they also have some better features. But if you like windows you should get Parallels so you can run windows on your mac that way you get both on one computer, thats what I do.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I have a secret for you....

Macs are PCs.....

You have used a mac for 2 and a half years, so unless you were only 2 and a half I would assume that at some point you would have used a computer other then a Mac. Therefor you should really already know which is "better"

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

C'mon, I was just teasing you. :p

There is no answer to that question, just lots and lots of opinions. ;)

Anyways, welcome to MacRumors...

Don't forget that you can search the site with MRoogle.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

So you've had a Mac for 2 years and you're asking us why?

8. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I went cold turkey and just bought a new iMac. I even bought Office for mac but have learnt to use Pages and Numbers. I have no desire to move back to a PC with windows etc.

Its been harder doing it this way as I had no familiar environment to fall back on. Three months down the line and I am really happy to make the switch. Just look at my posts to see how hesitant I was.

I am now considering purchasing a MBP to compliment my iMac :)

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you have specific problems using your iMac, let's hear them. There's a good chance that forum members can help.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Also telling us what your problem is, might help us giving you better answers, as the question "why a Mac is better as a PC" is answered in a lot of threads on this forum and blogs and websites, and even YouTube.

So, if you don't want any "yes" answers to "should I give up", tell us more, or better, use MRoogle for looking for threads about "What do you like/dislike about Mac OS" or "is the Mac better" and .....

11. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you've been using a Mac for 2 1/2 years you are not new to macs. If this is your learning curve on a Mac, God help you on a PC. What don't you get? If you would provide specifics, someone on here could give you advice/pointers/direction.

12. MacTurd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answers !

I really dont know where to start.I did have a PC before I had my mac,the PC just seemed to operate so naturally,this MAC I am always fighting.I have asked people why they think macs are better,I have searched on the net and You-Tube,all I ever get is that they "Look Great",which is true.
    I guess 1st question is : Today I got a zip file,clicked on it,it opened and disappeared,its in my computer somewhere,I've spent too much time already looking for this today,this is just the type of problems I am always having and finally I just give up.
    :confused:

13. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Have you tried Spotlight?

Attached Files:

14. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The built-in zip app for Mac will unzip the file to the folder the zip file exist in. Depending what was inside, you'll either find a folder created from it, or some files. On occasion the zip file can be corrupt and nothing is unzipped. You'll usually get an error message indicating an issue though. Not having the zip file in question, that's about all I can say. Well, also there are some 3rd party apps for handling zip files that you can try out.

If you have other questions feel free to ask them.

Oh, and as for your original question, it's very loaded. As mentioned, everyone has an opinion. I've spent a number of years with Windows and Mac and even some with Linux distros. Mac is my favorite and my reasons are kind of the opposite of your experience. You say Mac doesn't feel natural, but that's exactly how I feel about Windows. Does that mean I'm right and you're wrong? Absolutely not. Each user has their own expectations and needs for using a computer. It's quite possible Windows is a better match for your needs and expectations and there's nothing wrong with that.

15. MacTurd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have flip-for mac,but I cant find the zip file.
    what is duo-core for ? when I bought this,I am sure the salesman said I could download windows on this,then I after I found I could not because I only have tiger.I guess you need Panther to download Windows ? and first you must have Leopard to download Panther ?.My father bought the Panther upgrade for his mac,bought the family upgrade,But I couldn't do it unless I bought Leopard first for $179 !

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems you don't have a clue about your computer, do you? (I don't mean to be rude, just curious.)

To find out what Mac OS you have, go to the Menu Bar > :apple: > About This Mac.
    [​IMG]
    If it's version 10.4.x (x being the numbers from 0 to 11), then it's Tiger, if it's version 10.5.x (x being 0 to 7), then it's Leopard.

Also you can use Spotlight (CMD + Space Bar) to search for files, if you know the name.

The Core Duo is your processor/CPU (the computers brain, doing the calculations). It is from Intel, which means you can run Windows via Boot Camp (in Leopard, an expired beta in Tiger) or via a Virtual Machine like Parallels or VM Ware Fusion.

If you have Leopard (10.5.x), all downloads go into Users > you > Downloads, when you use Safari as a browser.

If you have Tiger (10.4.x), all downloads go into Users > you > Desktop.

Why did you buy a Mac in the first place, and why took it so long until you realized, that this computer (more specifically the Operating System) is not cut out for you or you not for it.

It's just like spinach, some people like or love it, others don't.

Or like a glass of water. Some like it half empty, others like it better half full.

Or whatever....

It's a preference, one doesn't have to like it, if it's doesn't suit one.

17. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Please don't equate Macs to spinach, you make me throw up in my mouth a little bit. I wouldn't say that about a windows machine.

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I would happily trade this POS for a spinach salad right about now.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. OP, I do not know if your mac illiterate or computer illiterate. Not being mean. Right now I really wish I was computer illiterate. I just say this because in the time that you have owned your iMac Apple went from 10.4 to 10.5, Tiger to Leopard. Following naming conventions you would see that Panther is 10.3.

If your really interested in using your mac then I would suggest hitting the "help" tab and seeing what you can find there or go out and get a $15 getting started book. I think you have a lot to learn.

19. MacTurd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks angelwatt and spinnerlys.

I appreciate you're comments,and I dont think they are rude,(plus I can take it)

I needed a new computer,I wanted a mac,my dad has one,I thought they were "THE" computer to have.

I guess the nickel and diming you to death (at $179 per),It doesn't work well with others (many webites still dont work with safari correctly) the cost to ad windows,no freeware,video gaming is non-existant.It broke after 3 months,needed a $600 repair,warranty covered that,they had it for 2 weeks tho.
    I get files from mac users I cant open,unless I subscribe for $179 a year,again.
    I am not anywhere near a Mac-Store,which I would guess makes a huge difference in ownership,the Mac store takes very good care of my father,they should he's spent a small fortune there.
    I think angelwatt is right,maybe this thing just isn't for me...

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

$179 for what? I feel like you may be getting feed some misinformation.

21. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

wow... someone has money......

22. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Unfortunately, a number of sales people are not knowledgeable about Macs still and they make stuff up. Panther came before Tiger. Tiger can install Windows through Bootcamp or a virtual machine as others mentioned. You don't have to upgrade to Leopard in order to get Windows on there. Check out the Mac Rumors Guide for booting Windows on Mac for some more detail.s

23. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Build your own Hackintosh or buy a pre-built Hackintosh... Cheaper, better, faster than any Apple computer esp. when it comes to price:hardware ratio. The Operating system is different than the computer it runs on. Apple comps suck, lets face it. OS X is what we're all here for.

24. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The only subscription service from Apple I know of, is Mobile Me, but it isn't required to open files, some other Mac users send you.

You just don't have the right software to open it.
    And there is a lot of good freeware around for Mac OS X, just not as plenty, as Mac OS has less than tenth of the computer market.

Aren't there any guides/tutorials you tried to better navigate your Mac?

Apple has some, but they are made for Mac OS X Leopard, but the same principles could be applied to Tiger.
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
    Have a look at it, to see if you understand the OS better.

Or the other option is to sell that computer and just go back to Windows. No harm done.

25. natatos macrumors regular

you could try firefox if you don't like safari. and if you don't like that there are other browsers.