Is .mac email very reliable, fast, etc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RickR, Jul 9, 2007.

1. RickR macrumors member

I am currently using Comcast for high speed internet. I'm happy with it except for the fact that Comcast only supports pop, not imap. Now that I have a iphone I sync email with it. After doing some research I found out imap is far better than pop when used on multiple devices and eliminates the problem with syncing.
    We have Qwest dsl available here with msn and I am going to check with them if they support imap but I think my best option may be able to subscribe to .mac. I know many parts like photocasting I won't use. The iDisk is also too small for me. I've heard Leopard will add features to .mac but I like both the syncing part of .mac and also the fact I get a .mac email address and it is imap.
    Since this will replace comcast as my primary email which I use a lot daily for heavy use I am wondering if it's very reliable, works fast, etc. I would set it up on my iphone and in the mail program on my Mac but I want to make sure it's very good before I make the switch.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I have found .Mac email to be very reliable and fast enough. iDisk, however, is terrible.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Quite a few users on MR at least (which is a given since people usually come to forums to post about issues as opposed to non-issues ;)) including myself have posted about dotmac mail being down, as in, on the server side. It doesn't happen every week, but I've had it since maybe February '07? And it's been down a couple of times. I know you mentioned that you'd like to use it especially in conjunction w/ the iPhone, that'd be neat. But the webmail version, the web-based dotmac mail is horrendous. :eek:

That said, I love that it is IMAP as you mentioned. And yes, part of me really gets suckered in by the @mac.com. Teehee.

4. BlankStar macrumors member

my thoughts exactly. the e-mail works fine, but man, that iDisk needs some tuning/upgrades...

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

more like a complete makeover.... its really not quite up to apples normal standards

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Agreed. It's usually up, but down frequently enough to be a real pain.

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Don't forget you can purchase .Mac email without all the idisk stuff.

8. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I have almost nothing negative to say about Apple other than .mac ... I absolutely loathe the service. Not only is .mac mail down a lot, they start bouncing e-mails when you get within 5 percent of your space. If you change your settings or erase, that won't necessarily do the trick, it can take up to four hours before they stop bouncing ... and whenever it happens, I get bombarded with e-mails asking me to "upgrade" to more server space.