Is mac mini right for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alientro, Feb 15, 2009.

1. alientro macrumors newbie

I am strictly interested in xCode, Java, and flash programming. I have never used a Mac other than sending an email in a coffee shop, so I have no clue about Macs. I have a very tight budget and I have seen Mac mini systems on E-bay for around $300. Will this serve my purposes? Or should I spend the $700 and get a new mac mini from Apple store?

2. colonels1020 macrumors regular

colonels1020

If you're not doing anything TOO intensive (video editing, etc) then I'd say, go for the mini, although you might want to hang in there for just a little while longer. Rumors are floating around about a new mini soon, which i'm sure you would definitely rather have, since the current mini hasn't been updated in years.

3. opera57 macrumors 6502

I'm sorta in the same boat. If you arn't doing anything majorly intensive it should be okay, although, its still got a core 2 duo processor which is fast in its own right. I'm gonna wait out and see if a new one is going to be released soon, because paying for 2 year (has it been out 2 years?) old technology at the same price it was 2 years ago seems a bit excessive to me. [​IMG]

4. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Agreed, it IS going to be updated someday. When that is, we don't know exactly..but it will be. The only reason not to buy a Mini is if you'd like to wait X days/weeks/months/years for a new version.

If you don't give two ****$ about new tech, by all means grab one of them puppies up now!

5. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

It's a decent machine, but I'd wait to buy one.