Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dec.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
In a discussion someone mentioned that using "Mac OS" as general term to describe the operating system on current Macs is wrong, as it's called OSX. What is the general take on this? IMHO Mac OS still describes the operating system without specifically referring to the releases named "OSX".

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
It depends on the context. If they are trying to say the proper name, "OSX" is the correct way to do it. Though unless someone is familiar with Macs, they may use the term "Mac OS," referring to the Mac's operating system, not knowing that the proper name is OSX. I use "Mac OS" when discussing it with my non-mac-familiar friends and family as "OSX" would probably cause a focus break

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I guess Mac OS works as a general term. Specific would be OS X (space between the s + x).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I always use OS X or Mac OS. I never say OS 10 though I hear various apple folk at the apple store and/or during the keynote scall it that.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
I always use OS X or Mac OS. I never say OS 10 though I hear various apple folk at the apple store and/or during the keynote scall it that.

You call it "OS EX" ?

I never heard anyone call it that. Always OS TEN.

-t

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 3.10.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-26 at 3.10.11 PM.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 400

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
How would you call OS XI?
I say 'OS ex' to refer to the, um, 'family'. To refer to a specific release I say 'OS ten point blah point blah' – I omit the X, thereby avoiding 'ex vs 10' arguments!

How do you say 'OS X 10.9'? 'OS ten ten point nine'? So the next increment will be 'OS ten ten point ten'? And the first OS XI (a name I doubt will be used) will be 'OS eleven eleven point zero'? And the first update to that would be 'OS eleven eleven point zero point one'? It all gets very wordy...

Re 'Mac OS', the name came into being with 7.5.1 and was prompted by the licensing of the OS to other hardware manufacturers. Up until that point it was simply 'System 7.5' and the splash screen was 'Welcome to Macintosh'.

----------

There's no reason to go to something like "OS XI"
I don't think anyone is suggesting that OS X 10.10 rolls over to become OS XI 11.0, but at some point in the future 'OS X' will be replaced by another name.

'OS Y'? 'OSRSLY'?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.