Is Mac OS going away?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Der Keyser, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Der Keyser, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

Der Keyser macrumors regular

Der Keyser

2. StellarVixen, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think its going to go away, but I do think apple is moving to make macOS more and more ios like. I think we'll be seeing macOS being more locked down and I can see them making it harder for developers if they choose not to use the mac app store.

4. HDFan macrumors 65816

Yep. But ....

News is now available on MacOS. I think we will be seeing more cross platform apps such as this when it makes sense. Hopefully when they roll out Texture (as part of News?) we will get a MacOS Texture equivalent as well. I used to read it via Windows 10 virtualization (the only OS Texture desktop supported) and after Apple bought Texture they killed the app.

A more intriguing question is whether they will transition from Intel. They are killing the phone and tablet competition performance wise due to their custom chips, giving them a marketing edge in that area. Will they do the same for desktops?

5. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors regular

Der Keyser

I think you should read the article referenced in the intial post. There are some VERY heavy arguments to suggest you either stay with Intel or transition to iOS on Mac devices. The MacOS on ARM solution just makes no business sense at all for Apple.

6. chabig macrumors 603

I read the article (really just a long list of unsupported bullet points) and found it entirely unconvincing.

7. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

The article you have linked is actually an opinion piece based on the writer's beliefs and expectations. Nothing to see there. I'll be concerned when/if macOS goes the way of the Dodo.

8. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors regular

Der Keyser

Yes, it’s an opinion piece, but with the logical and undeniable arguments about apples situation up until today, I have to agree there is NO business sense in not going the “opinion parts” way. It’s not that Apple will fail if they don’t - they just at best prolong a “standstill” Mac marked, but in all probability takes a big unnecessary risk with no apparant upside

9. revmacian macrumors 6502a

revmacian

We could guess all day and still be wrong. Whereas, if we wait and see what is released.. then we have the facts. Speculation is a waste of resources.. and does little to change reality.

10. chabig, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

chabig macrumors 603

I find none of his bullet points compelling. Young people expect touch screens? Apple can’t manage two platforms at the same time? Macs haven’t won Windows users over? Gaming isn’t big on macOS?

About the only thing that’s certain is that Apple is doomed. ;)

11. HDFan macrumors 65816

I did. Agree with the others. Lots of nonsense.

Actually very deniable.

12. Der Keyser thread starter macrumors regular

Der Keyser

True. Food for thought :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2018 ---
    Whatever - No point in arguing about it when real world salesnumbers, real world market statistics, current game platform developments and simple business logic is just fake news to you if you believe something else :)

13. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Mac OS may not be "going away", at least not yet.
    But... it's definitely "changing"...

14. skaertus macrumors 68040

skaertus

Well, it is hard to say for sure.

From a business perspective, it seems to make sense, for several reasons. It is not easy nor cheap to keep two operating systems. But more than that, it is not easy to compel developers to write apps for two so different operating systems.

Macs have a small market share, and this market share will not increase with the recent price hikes. If the market share is low, developers have less incentives to keep developing for macOS instead of Windows or even iOS. Apple will not be able to standardize any of its apps if it remains with macOS.

It also does not help the fact that the iPad now is nearly as powerful and as expensive as a Mac laptop, and it has a keyboard and a pointing device (the Pencil). Which means that these two different products may be competing. One of them may end up being discontinued at some point.

It is weird that Apple keeps two different platforms, and it is quite possible that one of them prevails in the end. But it is not likely to happen soon. Apple has just released an all-new 13-inch MacBook Air (which is a larger version of the 12-inch MacBook, but still, a new design), and an all-new Mac Mini. So, Macs are going nowhere right now. And Apple is not replacing macOS with iOS in these laptops. So, I think there is a chance that macOS gets replaced, but I think it will stick here for a while, which may be some five or ten years or so.