Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quadrophenia404

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
So I recently downloaded the iphone sdk development kit. Eventually I realize you need a Mac to create apps for iphone/itouch.......... great...

Yes I have a windows comp but I do have an iTouch.

Anyways back to my question. Mac OS on Windows machine??? or am I stuck using one of the pos older Macs at school to compile the code?

P.S. Im not going to buy a Mac.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
google insanely mac

it is possible to make a hackintosh. however you need to pick components carefully. that forum will give you loads of info on what components work and those that dont

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
So I recently downloaded the iphone sdk development kit. Eventually I realize you need a Mac to create apps for iphone/itouch.......... great...

Yes I have a windows comp but I do have an iTouch.

Anyways back to my question. Mac OS on Windows machine??? or am I stuck using one of the pos older Macs at school to compile the code?

P.S. Im not going to buy a Mac.

POS? Windows = POS. I can't believed Vista lived to see daylight. The holycrapiness of Vista burns my eyes. Honestly, Macs are the superior platform for programming, designing, video editing, etc. You could build a Hackintosh as mentioned above.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
POS? Windows = POS. I can't believed Vista lived to see daylight. The holycrapiness of Vista burns my eyes. Honestly, Macs are the superior platform for programming, designing, video editing, etc.

you don't know much about computers do you?
Macs and PCs can have very different purposes. I think Vista is great, millions of people would agree with me. It's all perspective and opinion.

PS: this thread was not about which is better, it was about getting a computer to run the SDK.

Quadrophenia404

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
POS? Windows = POS. I can't believed Vista lived to see daylight. The holycrapiness of Vista burns my eyes. Honestly, Macs are the superior platform for programming, designing, video editing, etc. You could build a Hackintosh as mentioned above.

First of all you are completely off topic. I made this post to get help with compiling iphone code on windows. And the pos comment was referring to the old macs that my school has that dont run simple programs well it had nothing to do with macs in general. Macs are perfectly fine computers however I am using windows and as I said before "P.S. Im not going to buy a Mac."

Thank you dukebound85 and TuffLuffJimmy for the help!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The short answer is no, there isn't really a good way of doing it. All the hackintoshes I've used (which have been put together by people who really know what they're doing) have been uselessly unreliable. Every time Apple updates the OS, it breaks the hack and in general, even the 'compatible' components tend to have unreliable drivers at best.

I know it's not an answer to the original question, but what are your reasons for not buying a Mac?

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
The short answer is no, there isn't really a good way of doing it. All the hackintoshes I've used (which have been put together by people who really know what they're doing) have been uselessly unreliable. Every time Apple updates the OS, it breaks the hack and in general, even the 'compatible' components tend to have unreliable drivers at best.

I know it's not an answer to the original question, but what are your reasons for not buying a Mac?

It really depends on your hardware.
I am running a hackintosh.. Its reliability is good (until apple releases updates.. then it usually takes some tinkering)
There are hardware guides that help you buy the perfect hardware to run and simulate a real mac as best as possible..
But I agree, if you happen to have a computer that does not have the best community support then you're not going to have much fun.

I had Xcode running perfectly on my hackintosh. Then I had to format because my tinkering with the kernel broke it (I forgot to create a back up.. oops..). But for some reason Xcode will no longer install :(

I like to think my hackintosh is reliable... But not every one would agree with me :eek:

Side note: you will need more than the iPhoneSDK + Xcode to develop your apps. You need to pay 99 dollars to be part of the iPhone development program. This allows you to use your code on a real iPhone (instead of the simulator included with the phone.)
Also, if you plan on creating an app in windows then using a mac to compile.. Good luck. While you can create your whole back end in C++, the interface MUST use coca touch and objective C... Which has to be done in OSX.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008

Don't agree with you at all. I used "hackintosh" on my system for about 6 months until I got tired of switching between operating systems and went back to Vista. During that time OSX was entirely stable and fast. When updates were released, it took a few days for a "hackintosh" working update to come out. Nowadays apparently you can pretty much update through OSX's own updater.

Graphics cards seem to be one of the most problematic things. The newer cards just won't work because of no drivers. My 8800GT worked just fine.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Don't agree with you at all. I used "hackintosh" on my system for about 6 months until I got tired of switching between operating systems and went back to Vista. During that time OSX was entirely stable and fast. When updates were released, it took a few days for a "hackintosh" working update to come out. Nowadays apparently you can pretty much update through OSX's own updater.

Graphics cards seem to be one of the most problematic things. The newer cards just won't work because of no drivers. My 8800GT worked just fine.

I used a hackintosh for a while as well. I hated the difficult update procedure, but I have heard that EFI emulation lets you use Apple's software updater just like a Mac. Haven't been able to verify it though, since I sold my machine and bought a MacBook.

Hackintoshes are great for testing OSX when deciding whether or not to buy a Mac. The only downside is that you have to bury yourself in internals to get your hardware to work, so you get a very bad image of OSX. It's nothing like that in reality - super smooth, super fast, entirely painless. I loved switching to the Mac. Despite being an engineer, I loved being free from the technobabble of having to diagnose hardware problems myself. Now I just forget about it. I haven't done anything technical with OSX since I got it, and that's how I like it!

Seriously. Buy a Mac. It's worth it.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well, first off - are you going to be creating apps that you eventually want to make money from?

If so, you'd be best off looking on eBay for 2nd hand Macs to get you going. Some good deals floating around - and come MacWorld, if a new Mac Mini is released, the previous ones will be getting sold 2nd hand by folk really quite cheaply.

Quadrophenia404

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
what are your reasons for not buying a Mac?

my first apple product was an 80gig black video ipod. over 2 years the hardrive failed 3 times so I was on my 4th ipod. The itouch is great except for the fact that it dosent have flash. i did nothing to provoke the hd failures.
(zune is an epic fail)

macs are expensive and im not interested in the free programs that they come with. Macs do look really nice though I have to admit. their design completely beats the other computer manufacturers (sony comes in 2nd with vaio in my opinion).

I just bought a new computer. hp. 2.4 quad core intel. 6gigs ram. 640gig hd 7200 rpm. nvidia evga gtx 260 (around 860 mb graphics card). nice monitor. and the comp came with an all in one printer. around $1100 great price! black friday rules!

i hate the mac commercials. i dont see how windows is the bad guy if mac is the one who is making the commercials about how much windows sucks.

I kind of feel like someone is holding my hand when im using a mac. windows just feels like you have more control i guess... at least for me.

lastly i really just want to make a few apps for my iphone. i dont see why apple would make this such a horrible process. after all isnt there marketing basis basically ease of use???

if i had the money i would buy a mac pro and run mac/windows on it and get everything for it. ( i think its like $15000) macs are good computers but at the moment im using windows.

ill try the hackintosh and if that dosent work i guess ill have to get my friend to show me some of the code and i guess ill get to work on notepad... and get him to compile it for me or something. hes made 2 successful programs. a graphing calculator and a 3d flying game. i guess it will be pretty annoying...

this was pretty long and thanks for everyones input i like this website =D

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I kind of feel like someone is holding my hand when im using a mac. windows just feels like you have more control i guess... at least for me.

lastly i really just want to make a few apps for my iphone. i dont see why apple would make this such a horrible process. after all isnt there marketing basis basically ease of use???

=D
As a long time windows user (just switched to OS X a few months ago with a hackintosh) I must dissagree with you. There are more stupid help bubbles and junk in windows than in OSX from what I have noticed. Plus vista just dummed every thing down wayyy to much. But this is just my opinion so every one is different here.

It is not just apple that is doing this. Microsoft is making it difficult for their things as well. Like the .Net, technically you must have a windows machine to compile c#, VB.net etc. Sure there have been 3rd party developers (Mono) who ported it over to other platforms, but Microsofts original intent was to have it a microsoft strictly product. Either way it sucks I agree. I wish I could develop iPhone apps in windows, as I HATE Xcode. Visual studio is the best environment I have ever used. THough I dont think that is too far off. Some people are already working on an iPhone toolchain for windows, including an iPhone simulator (http://www.planet-iPhones.com forums has some screen shots from the person).
Just a matter of time I guess... Though knowing my luck I will be used to Xcode and no longer need it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.