Is Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger officially unsupported?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by n459umb4786ers, Aug 11, 2009.

1. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

Is Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger officially unsupported now and getting no updates at all? Not even security updates? When will Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard stop being supported?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Tiger gets security updates until Snow Leopard's release. Leopard gets security updates until 10.7's release.

4. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

But in wikipedia it shows that it is unsupported:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.4

To the left at the bottom it shows "Support Status" and it says unsupported. That's why I was asking to make sure if it's true. Before it showed that Tiger is only supported with security updates now it just says unsupported.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No more point updates, but security until Snow Leopard.

6. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

But before it showed Tiger was supported for only security updates now it just says unsupported.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't care what Wikipedia says (remember, it's Wikipedia); Apple has stated that OS' get security updates until the release of two OS' from the OS in question. Whether or not there will be another one is up to Apple, but the 'pediaheads are being preemptive.

8. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) What Tallest Skil said
    2) Do you really think that many people are going to be writing code to attack Tiger? If Tiger works for you, it will continue to work. However, as new applications are developed, any modifications to Tiger to allow full functionality will not be made. Over time, you may find more and more problems with new software running on Tiger. If it runs today, however, it will run forever. Personally, I have a legacy iMac PowerPC G5 i will continue to dual boot into Tiger for my beloved Classic apps/files.

10. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

with the release of mac 0s x 10.6 snow leopard,

say good bye all u power PC's!:D

intel is the future, sadly:(

"all good things, must come to an end" lol

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes... we know. But that has nothing to do with the topic. Tiger ran on Intel Macs.

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Well considering leopard is supported i wouldn't be saying that just yet :rolleyes:

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Well to the first post, many people that have tiger, still run on PowerPC's, and some others run on intel, since both intel and tiger were introduced in 2005, many people that were ex-panther users, switched to tiger in 2005, but however the last time i remembered apple introduce macbook's and imac's with intel core chips in 2006, leaving many panther and tiger users "intel-less"

to the second quote the last time i checked, tigers last update by apple was 10.4.11 which came out in November 2007. almost 1 1/2 years ago! now and days only security updates are available for tiger users.

and i bet that 10.5.8 "leopard" will be one of the last final updates (i think they will still have more, but eventually it will fade.) before the release of snow leopard.:D

14. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

I know but im just saying wait a little longer to say good bye to ppc.

15. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:D it's sad that many powerPC's are getting "old" but it just shows how successful apple is.

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It appears to have been fixed by someone now. Yet another good example of why you can't trust Wikipedia for accuracy.

jW

17. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can, just be sure it's cited.

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. The cited authority may be accurate, but this does not mean that Wikipedia is. Wikipedia is much less reliable than refereed journals. I have seen articles in refereed journals include references that do not support the thesis. Always always always demand primary sources always.

19. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yeah, except for the times when the cited sources were using Wikipedia as their source. It's happened with news outlets before, and will continue to happen, until people stop trusting Wikipedia more than they trust any random person on the Internet. Which is all Wikipedia is, really. Except the random part; many of the 'contributors' have axes to grind and angles to work.

In fact, for all we know, it was an Apple drone who changed Tiger to 'unsupported' because they know that the Security Updates this week were the last ones ever for 10.4.