Is Mac OS X at all as crashy as iPhone OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Theirishjoey, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Theirishjoey macrumors member

Hi,

I want to buy a mac as soon as possible because of everything I have heard and experienced about Mac OS X, the wonderful hardware and the company as well.

Well, my question is that is OS X as buggy on the Mac as it is on the iPhone?

I love my iPhone and all, but it crashes a lot and I don't want to be going to a platform that crashes a lot. I mean windows sucks and all but does Mac crash?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X is very stable. It's never crashed on me.

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

All operating systems crash.

Is OS X perfect, no. Does it crash? It does, but it's rare. It happens when you start jacking around with files you shouldn't be touching or you install some shotty applications.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Ditto

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've had two crashes, both hardware related though.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Mac OS is the most stable OS out there, in my honest opinion. I've used most and it is superbly stable.

I've always found that using windows is a bit like driving a Ford from the mid 90's. It'll get you where you want to go, heck it might even be fast if you bought a Cossie but bits will always break off and you're guaranteed of a breakdown every now and then.

Mac, on the other hand, has always been a bit like a top of the line Mercedes or BMW M5. Fast, well build and reliable, and most of all a pleasure to drive.

Not sure about the iPhone OS, though. Might be crap for all I know.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hmm. My iPhone has never crashed on the latest firmware. Perhaps you have problems with some of the apps you've installed, or perhaps you need a replacement.

I have far fewer issues with OS X than I have with Windows XP. I also find OS X to be a nicer environment to work in, and that I'm more productive as a result of using it.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've never had the iPhone OS crash on me, just the apps themselves. which are of varying quality of course.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Most (stable) Linux distros are more reliable, but that reliability is also a lot easier to screw up if you don't know what you're doing.

It crashed on me a few hours ago, just went black with only the title bar showing. Some applications use a lot of memory, and the iPod Touch doesn't seem to have (real) OS X's classy memory management system, so they can leak even after closed and you have to restart. My VNC app is particularly bad for that.

I think in total I've had to restart about a dozen times in the 6 months I've owned the iPod, definitely more times than OS X in the 5 years I've been using that, kernel panics aside.

10. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I have not had a system crash on the Mac, but I have had programs crash a few times.

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh yeah, program crashes aren't uncommon. The beauty of OS X is that they rarely affect the system, except in some cases when Finder crashes.

Woo, finally made it up to 1.00 posts per day. I didn't use my account much in the first years I had it, so I've been making up for lost time now.

12. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

I can count on my fingers the number of times I've had a bona fide system crash in the nearly 5 years I've been using Macs. This included running the system without rebooting for a period of about 90 days. Needless to say it's been quite stable for me. :)

13. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

OS X = Stable
    OS X != Windows ==> OS X != Buggy

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

3 years with 3 macs, only two crashes, both kernel panic loops. OSx is pretty stable. iPhone is much newer and hasn't had time to go through enough fixing.

15. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I certainly don't agree with that. I guess it does depend on which distro you get but on the whole I don't agree.

16. Theirishjoey thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies I've got all of been very useful.

I guess it will be a lot more stable than windows and a joy to use!

Can't wait!